Fly Tying
DFoster

The joy of home ownership

5 hours ago, mikechell said:

Best estimate I've seen online is 18,920 drops per quart.   You said you don't have any puddles, so the loss is internal.  Unless you're driving 1.25 million miles a month, you're burning more than a drop per 200 miles.  😉

130K miles on the vehicle.  There are a few stains in the driveway, but nothing "wet".

What is most likely happening to the oil?  Since the mechanic said oil was "oozing" ~10 years ago, I assumed that meant that it might be escaping slowly.  Based on your comment, its sounds like it might be getting burnt up through worn valves. Is that what you think, or are there more likely scenarios?    I've kept the fluids, brakes, filters in good condition, so I haven't felt "negligent".  At 130K miles, I don't expect perfection--personally, I've never had car get 130K miles---I don't drive that much.  It's "unnaturally" aspirated (turbo), so it probably runs hotter than a naturally aspirated engine. I am tempted to point to that as a cause of the higher oil usage.  I would rather replace the vehicle than replace its engine. But I enjoy that it is paid for and has low maintenance and insurance costs, being over 10 years old. Substituting one that is a year old in its place would likely cost $25K, plus taxes and much higher insurance. 

Bill

12 hours ago, mikechell said:

Allowing the engine to burn oil to save a few dollars just adds to the pollutant levels humans are solely responsible for and shows a blatant disregard for the environment.  Not that I care, I don't have any children.  When I die, I won't care what version of Earth is left behind. 

I always thought that "unnecessary driving" showed a disregard for the environment.

We recycle, even though it is not required, and we have a family that I think is "more environmentally friendly" than most.   I'm not the sort of person that would cut down trees to put up more buildings.

One of my friends used to say, when it comes to people and animals, the animals always lose...

Maybe the world would be a better place if the automakers didn't run a semi-monopoly, and built cars people could really afford rather than ones which made them the most money.  I would prefer a car Without TPMS, TYVM!  : )   The more technology, the more stuff there is to break.

My apologies.  Wife and I had been talking about some reports on local preserves that might be rezoned for more apartment complexes and stores.  I was feeling a bit p.o.d at humans and their ability to destroy wildlife habitat with concrete and asphalt.

In the United States, it's practically impossible to exist without a vehicle unless you live in the inner city with no desire to travel out of the city.  I didn't mean to debase your character, Bill.   Car ownership is as expensive as home ownership these days, and it IS a relief to have a car without the "mortgage" payments.