a few cree

1980's vintage of a cree saddle i have.

nothing spectacular

might be good for a series of cree hackled wooly buggers

the fish wont care if its cree

cree.jpg

On 11/21/2020 at 10:56 AM, upnorthtier said:

for you guys who think cree is rare, I managed to get my hands on a few of them

the 1 on the left is from howard hackle now root river hackle, that saddle has some of the longest hackle---some 18 inch

ties size 12 to bigger

the other 3 are from skilto. ties 10 to bigger

DSC_0023.thumb.JPG.894176c6a192a14771396cb2eab1d118.JPG

heres whiting Herbert line , theres a pro grade, 2 bronze and a silver . all tie size 10 to 14 and some 16

the 3rd from the left is the best saddle of the bunch---90% of the hackle is a cree

DSC_0026.thumb.JPG.9fc5795ae259e715fedb71525483a312.JPG

whiting red label

left to right pro grade midge , ties size 20 to smaller

bronze midge, ties 18 to smaller

silver, ties 16 and 18

DSC_0029.thumb.JPG.6cd1f9f693b86f8f8d3b518330bb685a.JPG

I purchased all those whiting the same day, I ordered 12 saddles and ended up with 7 saddles and 2 capes. since I auctioned off the capes on ebay . I was really surprise what they went for. almost payed for the whole order.

Do you prefer the Herbert or Red Label variation?  I’ve never handled a Herbert to know, but it seems as though they tie larger flies.  What other differences do you notice?

On 11/21/2020 at 6:35 PM, SilverCreek said:

To get the effect of Grizzly which is BLACK and WHITE mixed with Coachman BROWN, the Cree should have actually have VERY dark stripes. Otherwise it looks like a dark barred ginger hackle.

As Lug Nuts notes, barred dark ginger can fool unsuspecting buyers who think it is Cree.

The essential difference is that the black bar component on a true Cree is through- out the entire pelt, while on a barred dark ginger it is usually only in the bottom third to half of the cape...

I have read (if it’s on the interwebs, it’s gotta be true!) that a black permanent marker can be used to extend the dark stripe effectively creating the cree color trifecta.

As I was writing it occurred to me that it was this forum where I saw that information.  Web search turned it up, screen photo of the quote because I am not savvy enough to quite that old post and have it stick here.

3CF543CB-9C4A-47C4-8DB2-531B13DDEF28.thumb.png.7e88f680a81c68afa77ab571170d2805.png

2 hours ago, Lug Nuts said:

Do you prefer the Herbert or Red Label variation?  I’ve never handled a Herbert to know, but it seems as though they tie larger flies.  What other differences do you notice?

they are both as nice to tie with. and yes the Herbert line in most part will tie larger flies. one big difference is the colors you can get with the Herbert. nothing beats whiting for tying dry flies in my opinion. I do have some high and dry saddles as well.

probably possible to fake a cree with that method, seems like a lot of work.

and for comparing the dark barred ginger to cree. I have quite a few dark barred ginger and there is no way that its comparable to a cree, not even close. its like comparing orange to peach. now saying that, nothing beats brown and grizzly for tying an adams. cree comes close. where a cree shines is when tying size 16 and smaller or for saving time.