Fly Tying
Bimini15

Fly line advice

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

Actually, it IS a Schrödinger thing ... as in Schrödinger's cat.  There are ALWAYS fish where you're casting and there are NEVER fish where you're casting, until you do or don't catch fish there !!!

Well played!

8 hours ago, JSzymczyk said:

I can hold my own, but nobody should ever consider me an above-average caster.  Guaranteed I'll hit myself in the back of the head, backcast into a tree, and flub a nicely done cast at the last possible moment.  🤣

My average seems slightly better than than what you described (in jest), but I still have difficulty getting a leader to last more than 3 outtings.  I have a hunch those fellers that claim they make a leader last all season are either lying or aren't challenging themselves enough!  %-)

17 hours ago, Bill_729 said:

I have a hunch those fellers that claim they make a leader last all season are either lying or aren't challenging themselves enough!  %-)

Try a Furled Leader.  They will last seasons, not just a few outings.  They are available in every conceivable length and weight. With a tippet ring, you essentially never have to consume the majority of your leader.  I am fishing the same 7' lightweight furled leader on a 4 weight for the 4th straight season.  Once you get comfortable with them, you'll save $$$ on leaders.

On 12/1/2020 at 8:36 PM, JSzymczyk said:

no no,  not the backing.  Shooting a cast with the entire front taper of a fly line outside the tip of the rod.   Possibly it is a regional bias, I don't know.  I've fly fished in a lot of different places and in my experience it is rare for  the "average" fly fisherman to be pounding out casts into the thin line behind the tapers.... even out here on the Susquehanna (which if you ever read anything by any author who ever mentions the Susquehanna, you will read that the Susquehanna IS OVER A MILE WIDE IN PLACES  😆 )  most people cast for shyte.

I’ve pondered this a bit and I think what you say may be much more accurate than I previously thought.  Folk like me usually try to learn principles for adding distance due to experience on other tackles.  We know there are fish out there beyond the head length even if not seen.  Our experience with easy 100’+ casting on spinning/BC tackle and resultant catch rates define much of what we consider typical fishing area and we want those fish on flytackle, too!  Or as close as we can get to ‘em within the limitations anyway.

Saltwater fly guys need the reach as do most shore anglers in general, many bass bugs in general are more fun and effective with longer retrieves than short combat fishing.  This type of pursuit probably leads one to double haul technique and distance work long before the drag-free drift and mending casts are ever wondered about.

Betting those short casters are probably aces on drag-free drifts, pocket water accuracy, and some of the more useful casting techniques in their fishing range.  Regionally, you’ve got a lot of trout streams and creeks where long casting ability likely takes a back seat everything else casting and presentation related.

Imagine there can be a lot of other reasons for this, but I’m not ready to call it a deficiency in general.  May simply reflect priorities and preference in species, waters, and what works well in the region.  No doubt a flycaster who tops-out at 40’ could enjoy a lifetime of very productive and talented flyfishing in some areas of pursuit.   Apparently, Tenkara fanatics do it a much less distance and yearn for no more.

Of course, it occurs to me that I seldom see many folks FFing around here so it’s all speculation at some point.  The one’s I do see are pretty competent casters in general, maybe that’s the only kind inclined to grab the flyrod around here.  Silvercreek’s explanation of the potential advantages definitely do apply to the waters I frequent, it probably culls off the shorter distance crowd pretty early in their exploratory efforts.          

Best bang for the buck lines, in my opinion, are Hook & Hackle-branded lines.  Regularly $39 bucks but often go on sale for $25 bucks.  The lines are made by Cortland and perform just as well and handle about the same as the traditional Cortland "444 Peach" lines.  So much so that I can't really tell much difference other than the H&H line is 1/3 the price.

https://store.hookhack.com/Hook-Hackle-Classic-Hi-Floater-Fly-Lines/departments/713/

53 minutes ago, DrLogik said:

Best bang for the buck lines, in my opinion, are Hook & Hackle-branded lines.  Regularly $39 bucks but often go on sale for $25 bucks.  The lines are made by Cortland and perform just as well and handle about the same as the traditional Cortland "444 Peach" lines.  So much so that I can't really tell much difference other than the H&H line is 1/3 the price.

Better hurry. My understanding is that they're thinking about stopping selling lines.

20 hours ago, redietz said:

Better hurry. My understanding is that they're thinking about stopping selling lines.

WHAT! Will they still have leaders? :(

29 minutes ago, Landon P said:

WHAT! Will they still have leaders? :(

That I haven't heard anything about.  I did see on another forum, though, that they hadn't ordered any new line from the maker, and were up in the air about whether to continue to sell it.  It would be a shame if they stopped.

41 minutes ago, redietz said:

That I haven't heard anything about.  I did see on another forum, though, that they hadn't ordered any new line from the maker, and were up in the air about whether to continue to sell it.  It would be a shame if they stopped.

I love cortland leaders since they are only 2 dollars a piece so I don't get mad when I get one tangled on a tree. 

9 hours ago, redietz said:

be a shame if they stopped.

Yes they discontinued the fly tying material, too bad I liked them. Only thing left would be rod building. Must be more going on business wise.

14 hours ago, cphubert said:

Yes they discontinued the fly tying material, too bad I liked them. Only thing left would be rod building. Must be more going on business wise.

I have their 2020 catalog, however a visit to their web site seems to confirm your observation.

I enjoyed trying to "support" Hook & Hackle as I liked their (lower-brow) "attitude".   There was a time when their catalog was the easiest source of materials that I knew of and it saddens me that they may no longer be selling fly tying materials.  I wish them success going forward.

Will always have a soft spot for Hook&Hackle. I was involved on the website with the original owner in the years leading up to his retirement and the sale of the business to the current owners. Have lost touch with him since, but he was a great guy and a hoot to deal with.

According to the inter webs the current Hook&Hackle had plans for a new warehouse last spring. Business must be ok then, but it certainly has changed.