Fly Tying

Carp pics

Grass carp. Read of a fellow was watching a lawn mower along a pond. Grassies were feeding on the grass thrown into the pond. He went back home, got some green Easter basket grass, tied some flies and caught fish.

I knew that....locals think they are.  Actually huge golden shiners.  What happens when crappie fisherman dump their buckets.  This lake is full of them.  I was feeding coons and shore birds that day...very few bream and bass in that lake from severe fishing pressure despite the great forage the shiners make.

Noticed some new grass carp in a state lake Saturday.   Tried few flies till finally spooked him; no joy.  Fellas said they saw others too.  

4C292A80-C0CB-47AB-91C8-D2C3EF6F3D3D.png

That looks like a koi, Denduke.   Occasionally, they end up in the local creek after high water.  They're even more spooky than the common carp in the stream.  Here's a picture of one that was caught in a pond where my church was holding it's annual picnic.  One of the kids caught it on some corn.     A couple of us who fly fish were helping them bait their hooks and showing them how to cast.  It was the biggest fish caught by the group.  All I managed to catch, when I had a chance to toss flies to the fish, were a few small sunfish and a small bass.

96822993_P6020272(2).thumb.JPG.9bf3e5771f1b773686e82d432eab4a9d.JPG

Maybe right.  It had some couple black spots I think on its side.   Gonna call fisheries and find out.   Called fish guys who said goldfish/cat fishermen prolly how they got in there.   Spawning if it occurs they said prolly wouldn’t be very successful since lil orange fry would be tough to survive...

The Japanese show koi like we show cats and dogs. They have shows for competition and for "advertising" breeding stock. One koi brought $20K USD. Google "koi" and get a lot of info on the coloration and patterns. Looking forward to catching carp on the fly rod.

WAY BACK when I was a student at SUNY Oswego I'd see all different color combinations in Lake Ontario.  We had a small pond/lake near the admin building - Glimmerglass Lagoon, if memory serves me right - where you'd see them looking like a sideways tornado as they were feeding near the shore.

Kim

Never encountered them around here.  Thought they were not temporant critters.  But now that I think about it when I was a kid had some gold fish frozen solid in a fishbowl on the porch.  And when it melted they were still alive!  Some from Texas trip.

14879DFE-C343-45E1-953F-AD196A545A5F.png

You can get $$$$ for big koi .They live a long time.I have caught some 5lb class common goldfish in a Lake that has big bass and pike.Never count out any carp species.I know of a local pond in the next town that has several big koi.The pond is STRICT catch and release of all fish.My buddy told me his neighbor would pay me at least 50 bucks a  fish.