Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Moshup

Morus silk thread option

With Pearsall’s out of business and with scant inventory left that has driven the remaining spools for sale unreasonable I 

ordered a sampling of Morus gossamer silk thread which is offering dyed colors to match the old Pearsall’s inventory .  I tied up a couple of Snipe & Purples and I was quite happy the thread.  It goes for 8.25 a spool which is not cheap but far cheaper than trying to find the originals and theq original popular colors are near impossible to find for any price.  So if you were thinking of giving classic soft hackles a go I’d give this thread a shot and get yourself an orange,purple and primrose spool to try out. Just giving a review with no connection to the product.🤓

“Snipe & Purple”

EE261E09-F2C0-45FE-AE9E-9B35162941C0.jpeg

9EA19A75-DCE7-4326-845E-B46D8940EBA1.jpeg

Back not so long ago I sold some of the Pearsall's I had too much of and a couple of those spools were purple. Now I could sell and make a down payment on a new bamboo rod. I figure when I use up the last of the colors I use I'll go to the Morus. Do you use the Primrose with dark wax to tie the Greenwell? 

I still have quite a collection of Persall's Gossimer 6/0 including 2 brand new spools of purple - it may be up to 30 years old.  Did check the purple with a few test wraps last year when I found out what it could go for and it's still good!  Sorry not for sale been asked numerous times by numerous people.

@vicrider Yes I wax the primrose prior to tying the Greenwell. As I think I posted on another thread I don’t lacquer the head

as it changes the color often to something undesirable so I wax again prior to a two turn whipfinish.

@Meesha I purchase the Morus thread to check it out to see if I would recommend it  to others that want to tie these soft hackles

but don’t  have Pearsall’s.  I have Pearsall’s purple and you’d be hard press to tell the difference between the two.  This was an informational post for those that were looking for an alternative.   Happy Turkey !