Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ejcox

App to keep track

Hello,

I recently got the idea to make an iPhone/iPad app that would allow you to photograph and store the flies you have tied, as a way of better keeping track of your inventory.

I came here to see if there would even be any interest in such an app? And, if so, what functionalities would you like in the app beyond photographing, naming, and searching?

Cool idea, ejcox. Welcome to the site as well. Making it social media is an option to consider, specifically with the option to make your flies public with others, have followers, and follow others. 

100% this is an amazing idea. I would love to see a function where you can publicly post to recieve feedback and a database to enter patterns into. I can't wait to see where this goes!

i dont use my iphone to photograph flies so this would be of no benefit to me personally

i prefer to photograph my flies using a nikon coolpix s9900 point and shoot camera and then store them on a portable hard drive attached to my computer

arent there ways to create album/folders on your iphone to store photos or to send them to the icloud without an app?

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

I am a Windows 10 user with an iphone and ipad. There is a free Windows 10 app that I use on my desktop that syncs to my other devices.

The app is called OneNote. I use it for more than fly fishing and flies but it allows me to store info on flies I would like to tie and flies I have tied.

How you organize that material is up to you, think of it as a digital 3 ring binder. I use it to easily copy and paste photos of flies and materials lists of flies I have tied and would like to tie, even to store links to Youtube fly tying videos.

I synchs across devices so I can easily call up the exact same information on all my devices. The information is easily shared as well as you can allow access to whomever you choose.

The app is free and is located here:OneNote

image.png.b065c50340f5ff48276b9982ffac61db.png

from the app site:

Organize your thoughts, discoveries, and ideas and simplify planning important moments in your life with your digital notepad. Microsoft OneNote lets you take notes on your phone and sync them across all your devices.

With OneNote, you can plan a big event, seize a moment of inspiration to create something new, and track your list of errands that are too important to forget. Take notes, write memos and make a digital sketchbook right on your phone. Capture pictures and add images to your notes.

Sync notes across your devices to access them anytime, anywhere. Save ideas and check your list at home, in the office, or on the go across your devices. Search your notes quickly and effortlessly.

Take notes, share ideas, organize and collaborate when you download Microsoft OneNote today.

Capture Content And Get Organized
• Write notes, draw and clip things from the web to get your thoughts down into your notebook.
• Use OneNote’s flexible canvas to place content anywhere you want.
• Scan documents and business cards straight into OneNote.
• Save pictures and images to your notes.

Take Notes And Achieve More
• OneNote is a digital notebook that brings 3-ring binders to the digital era.
• Organize notes with sections and pages to separate thoughts by theme at school, home or work.
• Organize your notes using to-do lists, follow up items, marks for what’s important and custom labels.
• Use OneNote as a notebook, journal or a notepad.

Save Ideas At The Speed of Light
• OneNote syncs your notes across all devices and lets multiple people work on the content together, at the same time.
• Use the notepad to list your thoughts down whenever something crosses your mind.
• Notepad badge hovers on screen and lets you quickly write your thoughts down any time.
• Sticky notes are helpful for quick memos.

Collaborate and Share Notes
• Take meeting notes, brainstorm projects, draw attention to important points and organize key resources.
• Collaborate in real time to stay in sync and on the same page.
• Take notes and save ideas across your favorite devices, no matter what device your team likes to use.
• Take notes during classes or meetings, mixing in text, voice, ink and web clippings.
• Search your notes with a fast and powerful search function

Better Together With Microsoft Office
• OneNote is part of the Office family and works great with your favorite apps, such as Excel or Word, to help you do more.

Write notes, save ideas and keep up with your to-do list with Microsoft OneNote.

You can find answers to frequently asked questions about OneNote for Android at http://aka.ms/OnenoteAndroidFAQ

4 hours ago, flytire said:

i dont use my iphone to photograph flies so this would be of no benefit to me personally

i prefer to photograph my flies using a nikon coolpix s9900 point and shoot camera and then store them on a portable hard drive attached to my computer

arent there ways to create album/folders on your iphone to store photos or to send them to the icloud without an app?

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If it would be compatible you could use bluestacks as an emulator to manage the app if it happens.

I'm sure it would be a great benefit to a lot of people.   As OCD as I can be about things from time to time, I understand it.   For me personally though, it looks, sounds, feels, and smells like WORK.   

1 hour ago, Landon P said:

If it would be compatible you could use bluestacks as an emulator to manage the app if it happens.

Nope not gonna happen

i have no idea what you’re even talking about

i don’t need more needless apps on my iPhone

Will it work on my flip phone?   Oh, wait.  I can't get apps on my flip phone.  It's why I HAVE a flip phone.

😄 No, it's a little more advanced than those brick phones.  It does have a camera.  My recent phone, (the one that quit working after I cleaned it in the washing machine) took bad pictures.  A little fuzzy and dark.  I couldn't do anything to correct it.  I don't expect my new flip phone to be any better, but I haven't taken any pictures with it, yet.

One note comes with MS office for both windows and macs for those who need it.

As for me, I think I can remember the flies I tied.

As for inventory management, I'm not going to deduct a fly from an app each time I take and use a fly. I look at the box each time I take a fly and tie more when the box looks low. It worked for me for 40 years and I never and out of flies. Pretty soon we are going to have people wanting to adapting Salesforce and Microsoft ERP applications for a fly box.

OT...Having a smart phone is like having a computer and camera in hand.  The phone service co. are literally giving these $1K phones away lately.  The best feature worth the price of admission is find answer to any question and if need be take a picture of it (text, map, drawing, etc) by way of the “screenshot”. There’s zillions of free apps too.   I have one word for youse guys and to my wife especially....Neanderthal!

37C2CC47-4EAA-41A0-A724-FBA544AEF3D9.png

DDCBF0ED-E334-48A4-AD05-E53A28CC9A59.png

76D38667-E019-4163-9585-5648310D0244.png

Happily accepting the moniker, "Neanderthal."  I spend too much time on my laptop already.  I do NOT need to carry a computer with me.  I am happily disconnected from the world when I am away from the laptop.  When Wife and I go out, I often forget to take my phone with me.  It's just not that important to me.  I take it with me when I'm alone, just in case I find myself in need of assistance.