Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Fishing a Texas City

I am fishing in the Breckenridge park once again, in down town San Antonio. Its a beautiful park with beautiful fish. These Rio's are some of the biggest ive seen, and are easy to catch here. There are so many, and they aren't as scared as some other places Ive fished for them. They are willing to eat flies and are really fun on a 3wt fly rod. In fact many seem to peel some line. I also tried fishing a little further down the San Antonio River with a few sunfish as well. Its a very pretty stretch of river that is easy access and fun for the whole family.

I've caught a lot of Cichlids during my times in Texas ... but I've never caught any like those.  Those were beasts!  

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

I've caught a lot of Cichlids during my times in Texas ... but I've never caught any like those.  Those were beasts!  

Thanks!  Yeah this small park has a ton of good ones.  What part of Texas did you fish?  Huston?

My sister and bro in law are there, I might tell them to go catch some fish.

I would love to have a spot to fish. The access available for a handicapped person is phenomenal and the fishing would be a ball. Unfortunately it is an 8 hour drive and 500 miles from me. To do it in a day doesn't leave me much time to fish. Just wondering since I've seen them caught like that in other places what is the edibility factor of them. I know talapia are edible and I've eaten them from store bought stock but never seen anything on the Rios. I would mention since you mentioned trout that I am amazed at the amount of places TX throws trout into compared with the few places OK puts them. Having a lifetime senior license in OK covers me for TX fishing but haven't taken advantage of it yet.

Great and enjoyable video makes me very envious.

Nick

22 minutes ago, vicrider said:

I would love to have a spot to fish. The access available for a handicapped person is phenomenal and the fishing would be a ball. Unfortunately it is an 8 hour drive and 500 miles from me. To do it in a day doesn't leave me much time to fish. Just wondering since I've seen them caught like that in other places what is the edibility factor of them. I know talapia are edible and I've eaten them from store bought stock but never seen anything on the Rios. I would mention since you mentioned trout that I am amazed at the amount of places TX throws trout into compared with the few places OK puts them. Having a lifetime senior license in OK covers me for TX fishing but haven't taken advantage of it yet.

Great and enjoyable video makes me very envious.

Nick

Thanks man, so I wouldn’t eat any fish here in that river.  It’s polluted.  But I haven’t eaten rio’s but personally I’d think they would be similar to tilapia. Bony...  however they are kinda one of those fish people would be mad about others keeping so, keep that in mind.  I wouldn’t kill one personally.

Thanks. Don't keep many fish and don't even think about polluted water fish. I do eat fish and did regularly when living up north but had a ready mixture in lakes of walleye, perch, bass, northern pike, bluegill, crappie, white bass and sauger. Then in rivers and big lake had brookies, browns, rainbow/steelhead, coho, chinook and lake trout. When you had this kind of variety of fish to eat out of as clean a water as is generally available in states today it does seem silly to consider a fish like that for the table. Really miss the north in spring, summer and fall but not for the six months of winter.

On 11/28/2020 at 2:55 AM, vicrider said:

Thanks. Don't keep many fish and don't even think about polluted water fish. I do eat fish and did regularly when living up north but had a ready mixture in lakes of walleye, perch, bass, northern pike, bluegill, crappie, white bass and sauger. Then in rivers and big lake had brookies, browns, rainbow/steelhead, coho, chinook and lake trout. When you had this kind of variety of fish to eat out of as clean a water as is generally available in states today it does seem silly to consider a fish like that for the table. Really miss the north in spring, summer and fall but not for the six months of winter.

I agree, im not opposed to people eating their catch.  In fact (depending on laws and prevalence of fish) I would encourage it.   But not these fish...