Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Violator

Tool for cutting zonker strips?

Does anyone know of any manufactures or retailers that sell a tool for cutting zonker strips from a full pelt? Cutting them out one at a time is not fun and I don't want to make my own tool.

I've heard of people who have designed them. But none that I know of who actually produce them.

I just use a stretch board. Pin the two sides in. Draw straight lines how I want to cut the pelt (whether it be zonker or crosscut) then razorblade down the lines. It's pretty fast actually. Plus, one pelt lasts you quite awhile. Especially if you're the average tyer.

God, and funny thing it's probably true. I have at least 6-8 bunny pelts dyed on hand at all times, and at least 2 pelts cut up into zonkers presently. Not including the tanned but undyed ones I have stacked up. laugh.gif Few orders and they'll be all gone (drift lure I tie is a hot seller made of bunny). I pick up white pelts whenever I can.

Hmmmm, now I need to invent the "Lord of the Bunnies" dance so I can wear that beautiful bunny suits OSD and SD made for me. wink.gif laugh.gif

Jim Krul at English Angling Trappings used to carry them. I'm not sure if the new owner does or not. The Angler's Den in Pawling, NY is the owner now. I haven't had much luck with orders from them though. But it is a possible source if you don't want to make your own.

Mike

I have heard of two similar methods for making one and for almost $0. In each case you need a package of double-sided (blue) razor blades. Then you need spacers. The two simplest choices are either a box of business cards, or a collection of b/card size 'fridge magnets. Put enough cards between each razor to create the space width you need, with a couple on each outer side for comfort & safety. Wrap tightly with elastic bands (the fridge magnets probably need less elastic) and cut away. I think another part of the system would be to get a clipboard to hold the top of the pelt securely (and prop it at an angle) so that you can lift the bottom away from any surface when cutting.

I must be either pretty stupid and unaware of the market value of something like this or slow to discover "new" products when they are launched.

Explanation:

I had single-edged razor blades stacked and screwed together between paint can stick stirrers or thin wood laths, and a stretching rack to cut rabbit skins on, way before I ever met Jim Krul or heard that somebody else who knew Jim was making a strip cutter for him. So what. Frankly, I don't even know what the tool that English Angling Trappings or, now, Angler's Den sold, or sells, or looks like. Furthermore, I'm not upset by not knowing I made it eons ago and didn't market it to make a million bucks or that somebody else had the same idea and made a buck or two from it. Seems to me there could have been X (pick a number) people who had the same or similar idea(s) and never gave it a second thought...

I'm not sure why I received an email flagging this topic as interesting, disconcerting or upsetting to whomever it bothered. I don't see it as troublesome.

Must be the phase of the moon.

Forget about it.

DFix... I guess you'd be referring to my last post since I'm the one mentioning Jim. I don't remember writing anything about a problem I had with the tool or anything along that line. A question was asked about a potential source for the tool and I gave a potential source. Where the problem came in is where I mentioned having a problem with orders I have placed through Anglers Den.... nothing else.

Mike