Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymanaj

Iso thick craft foam

FlipFlops go in from the side maybe...might need smaller caliber this is .45/70.   .357”,  22mag,  or 223 =.22”  Some are using a punch set from HarborFreight.  Using the rotary of a drill to cut might work better in long cylinders than hammer/ punch.  From my experience  the CA glued connection is as strong as the foam itself, 2 tone?

F0CDC2B7-7A8F-455A-AE0C-C98F4759AACF.png

F6360DDD-6093-4B83-8C23-EC1575E64035.jpeg

Usually, craft stores have a limited selection of colors in 6 mm, either white or black.  One fly fishing catalog I get has 6 mm in several colors.  I have the set of punches, plus brass in various calibers.  I don't have the tools and any foam cylinders or circles I punch out is by hand.   Is this what you are trying to make?

PA270808.JPG.c5b7ffbc0a71d25a0189cf10c212eef0.JPG

I picked up the idea on another site to pre-make foam dumbbell/booby eyes,  before that I was tying a foam cylinder onto the hook and wrapping it into place to create the "eyes".   Since I'm not fond of manually punching out foam cylinders, I just buy various sizes and colors of foam cylinders you see in fly fishing catalogs or on line.  If you pre-make the "eyes" they're much easier to tie on the hook.  The ones in the picture are made from 1/8" cylinders and are 10 mm across.   The "eyes"  in the picture below weren't pre-made, they're made from a 3/8" foam cylinder and are 20 mm across. 

P3250159.thumb.JPG.08f445cc247526467f2461dcbbf36fc8.JPG

Probably not as cheap as punching out your own.  I get two to four pair of eyes from each cylinder depending on its length

My wife picks up 5mm foam from Hobby Lobby in sets of various colors. It comes with that big hole like denduke's pic and don't know why. They're like door hangers. Work great to slice for fly holding foam.

Hobby Lobby will be on the list this morning. Check their website for colors. Like denduke's idea of layering different colors.

17 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

Hobby Lobby

I recently found 5mm foam door hanging tags @ hobby lobby a pack of 6 in assorted colors

17 minutes ago, cphubert said:

I recently found 5mm foam door hanging tags @ hobby lobby a pack of 6 in assorted colors

Good! Need to go with the wife and get the 40% off regular price.

philly,i tie one similar to your   mop fly body,thin cylinder of foam with the ends cut on an angle.wider towrds rhe rear. here is the best part  i tie them on a angled hook. flat part behind eye holds the foam eye  the rest angles down. once it is wet it will sink down and back ,retrieve andit comes upand will hold in thefilm.onecan almost yo yo it .   i call it the back up nymph   rich