Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fiveonomo

Hello, A Returning Rookie

I have always wanted to fly fish, or at least most of my adult life.  I would get started, get intimidated, and ultimately go back to spin and bait cast fishing.  For the last 12 or so years, maybe longer, I have been a kayak angler, but I am continuing to have a pull towards fly fishing.  I actually bought another kayak that excels in the world of fly fishing and hope to put it to good use in 2021.

Fast forward to today and I have been reading as much as I can and trying to weed out the good and the bad on youtube.  I have been visiting a local fly shop, well they are about an hour and a half drive for me up in the mountains of Waynesboro, VA.  They have been a wealth of knowledge for me and I have given them my business.  South River Fly Shop is just a cool place, it has a great feel to it kind of like how Norm felt about Cheers, at least thats what it feels like to me.  The guys that own it, Tommy and Kevin, also work hard at keeping the great reputation they have and I am lucky to have that resource near me.   This Thursday I am going out with one of their guides and i am pretty pumped about it, i may even attend the fly tying night that evening.

I just stumbled upon this forum because I was searching for information on Lefty's Little Library.  When I went to join it said my email was already in use, turns out I had joined 5 years ago in 2015.  This time I hope that I can continue the journey and tying is a huge piece or part of what draws me to fly fishing I think. The thought of tying a fly and catching a fish on it is just cool.  I hope to learn a lot here and maybe in time even be able to contribute myself.  Thanks for letting me be a part of the community.

Scott 

p[]

Welcome back +1

If you're still looking for good places for beginners (or in your case, re-beginners) to learn on the web and haven't yet found the Orvis learning center, take a look at it. They've put some real good energy and good people into making it a meaningful resource -- for fly fishing and for fly tying. There's plenty in there for non-beginners, too.

https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/

Welcome back to this site Scott.  I'm primarily a panfish fisherman that is happy with anything on the end of my line.  I'm from just west of Syracuse, NY and a stones throw from The Great New York State Fairgrounds.  I caught most of my smallies just north of the marina at Sampson State Park on Seneca Lake.  Great place to fish and located on not one but 2 New York State wine trails!

- AND NOW FOR A COMMERCIAL MESSAGE -

I'm in the middle of a 5 part swap series designed for new/novice tyers.  Sign-up for Wet Flies/Soft Hackles is on until December 15th and the Dry Fly (part 4) and Terrestrials (part 5 and final) sign-ups are yet to be posted.  The series will end on March 31, 2021 just in time for fishing season.  There's a description of this series in the "Beginners Section" of this swap and sign-up is in the "Fly Swaps and Contests" section of this site.  You can also feel free to PM me at this site - always happy to help.  And, as you'll learn if you do deal with me, I can't help but blow my own horn!

- I now return you to your regularly scheduled program!-

Kim

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes and the great information.  I am so glad to see that forums still exist, I was afraid they were gone as a result of social media.  Looks like this one is pretty active.