Fly Tying

Anyone ever try using tear mender for applying eyes to flies.  I saw gunnar brammer use tear mender in one of his videos and I liked the idea of it so I bought some myself.  In his video, the tear mender is white in color when applied, and dries clear.  The problem I am having is that the my tear mender dries, it turns into an opaque tan color.  Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on why it isn't clear or if anyone has any experience.

IMG_2830.JPG

I've never used it for flies.  I have used it for hems and tears.  Are you using it under the eye to hold it in place or placing it over the eye?  Generally I use either a drop of super glue or a drop of UV resin to hold the eye in place and then cover it with a coat of UV resin when I form the head.

My choice for some years now when gluing hard plastic eyes to flies that I've tied is Fletch-Tite - an arrow makers glue for securing the fletching on arrows.... Works like a charm - but I'm only applying it exactly where the eye will be going -not trying to coat the head or eye at all.  I use it one side at a time - then clamp that eye in place for about five minutes with a clothes pin or mini-clamp (by Hansen) - then do the other side.  This routine works with any materials and frequently the eyes are still in place when the rest of the fly is trashed... I don't ever use Fletch-Tite on holographic eyes -or any eyes that come with an adhesive already in place since it interferes with the action of the Fletch-Tite unless you take the trouble to remove that sticky adhesive that holograhic eyes come with.  Here's a pic of the results I'm getting (and all my flies are being used in salt or brackish waters).... 

0yQApBO.jpg

The Feather Mullet (a Seaducer variation), these are the same eyes that Puglisi uses in his patterns... 

Fletch-Tite comes in a tube with a perfect applicator for placing a tiny single drop of glue and I find it in my local Bass Pro shop where they keep the archery supplies... 

I've used Aileene's Fabric Fusion to glue eyes on. Works very well. Walmart, Hobby Lobby, JoAnnes,etc.

img

The first fly I heard about that used Tear Mender was Scott Sanchez's Double Bunny which is the only fly to win the Jackson Hole "One Fly Contest" 3 years in a row from 1992 to 1994. Then it was outlawed from the competition. That should say something about the both the durability and fish catching ability of the Double Bunny.

https://www.jacksonholeonefly.org/winning-flies

https://flysandguides.com/how-to-tie-scott-sanchezs-double-bunny/

I bought some to try and had the same results you had on heads. Did not like it.

It dried out in the bottle fairly quickly and never replaced it.

Now I pretty much use three glues: superglue, liquid fusion and UV resin

Yep, good stuff for double bunnies, but I like Liquid Fusion better for applying eyes. I've also had the same issue with Tear Mender drying out prematurely. It's a good product, but you have to use a lot of rabbit/fur strips in a short period to make the best use of it. 

Aileene's, mentioned by Sandan has other good glue/adhesive products too. 

Oh, and the Tear Mender is a latex based product, which is why it's not completely clear when dry. Try the Fabric Fusion or Liquid Fusion or the Fletch-Tite that Capt Bob mentioned. 

Used to be Zap a Gap was recommended for eyes on flies like bass bugs, but it didn't dry clear either.