Fly Tying
Alex C.

Moderators

QUOTE (DFix @ Apr 1 2005, 05:36 PM)
EVERYONE- GO TO YOUR ROOMS! rolleyes.gif

OK....But tell us a story first... fishing that is!!

QUOTE (daryn smith @ Apr 3 2005, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (DFix @ Apr 1 2005, 05:36 PM)
EVERYONE- GO TO YOUR ROOMS! rolleyes.gif

OK....But tell us a story first... fishing that is!!

Every year a group would travel from miles around and states away to meet and celebrate Opening Day of Fishing Season- this was back when Opening Day was for real and a big deal; planned for, looked forward to and something to be excited about. This particular opener wasn't such a good one for this member of the group.

Prior years' tactics, times of day or night, patterns or technique twitches would not produce a fish for two days, while everyone else in the group caught fish after fish, some limiting out on good sized stockers or the occasional holdover. Pattern changes, size changes, leader changes- nothing worked. Tiny dries "worked" over sipping fish; surface-film riders, subsurface nymphing- he might as well have stayed home. He couldn't even lose a fly-

until two hours before they broke camp.

He, in the bow of the canoe he and another guy paddled toward the pullout on a tiny, deep kettle pond; his line forty-odd feet out, surging through and slicing the water every time they pulled on their paddles; rod, rattling around loose on the deck in front of him, bowing a little with each paddle stroke, dragging the copper-wired, weighted, olive color nymph he'd tied on in his last ditch attempt to avoid the skunk - not a move expected to produce much more than a quicker trip to the ramp, right?

Halfway across the pond he almost lost his rod when something stopped the line and took it in the opposite direction. Everything happened so fast the rod went overboard before he dropped his paddle and twisted around to grab for it; the guy in the back end wouldn't have been able to grab for it 'cuz it was going away, not alongside- besides, it was a foot underwater by then anyway. Everything and everybody almost took a swim, he shifted and grabbed so fast- and got hell from the guy in back, who just as quickly turned in the direction of the rod and gave chase.

With the fish now on the reel, the drag and rod working together, it became evident this fish wasn't like everybody else's dinner fish taken the previous two days. This fish fought hard and deep, bowing his rod, taking line against his recovery, time after time. What probably took five or six minutes or less seemed like a lot longer as this battle continued. But, as luck is wont to play out, the black and white stripes won. A rookie mistake? A newbie goof? Nope-

Impatience- Thy Name Is Skunk!

As he horsed this bruiser in the direction of the canoe, the back man got a good look at it when it rolled to the surface, throttling its tail for a final dive as he horsed it harder, trying to finish this battle. He'd finished it, alright - It returned to the surface and rolled once more -

delivering unto him his frayed leader end - like an Atlas rocket. Not a pulled knot, just a ragged end of nylon where this thing had ground its tiny teeth over it, time and again.

They both got a look at this fish; as it turns out, the stern man had a much better look; bright, electric silver with a deep dark back and clamping mouth. "I don't want to guess how long it was but it looked longer than two feet and it was as big around as your arm. That's a lot bigger than I've ever seen in this little hole...."

The ride home was filled with hollers and curses, and plenty of quiet.

Now I won't be able to sleep, with big brookies dancing in my head!

At first I thought you were talking about me and then you said lost no flies........not me!

BFR

dang if you could have mentioned santa clause once in that story it could have been made into a holiday movie, great job, i say like SD, tell it again man, Bud