Fly Tying
Po0gs

Panfish Flies

Im looking for some Panfish nymphs/dries/ and anything affective flies. If anyone has some simple patterns that will mere guarentee me a panfish like Sunnies in particular, plz post it here or give the name. Im new to all this flyfishing stuff, but just bought myself a 5 Wt, little heavy I know, for panfish smile.gif Thanks all.

I use alot of the same nymphs I use for Great Lakes Steelhead, they really like the one with the eyes. I like really small clouser minnows and wolly buggers, when you are trying to fish a little faster.

My favorite panfish fly is a simple mini zonker. I use an 8 or 10 2x or 3x nymph hook, I have even used aberdeen hooks, and just a dubbed or yarn wrapped body and a rabbit strip. Only have the rabbit strip hang out the back about 1/4". Unweighted is good when they are feeding near the surface. If you want some weight add a few wraps of lead on the hook or a bead.

I use black and natural rabbit as my all around panfish flies, white and chartreuse work great on crappies.

I haven't tried mink strips yet but am planning to since I have to split some rabbit strips to get them thin enough. I bet they will work great for smaller zonkers.

Tim

Trout nymphs work great for panfish. Ive taken crappie and bluegill on hare's ear, damsels, dragons and whitlock red fox squirrel, and even on royal wulff (wet and dry) and irresistible adams. Those little guys are so willing to take a fly! wink.gif

I have tied up these to patterns this winter i don't know if they work but they look cool and easy to tie. I wish could give you the direct link but if you do a search on google you will find them. the two patterns or a suspending gillbuster and a SMP (skip morris panish)

good luck and good fishing

Flyguy13

QUOTE (luvinbluegills @ Apr 1 2005, 03:17 PM)
Yeah, what they all said!

Plus a good Damsel fly nymph, and a Dragonfly nymph.

Thanks all

and thanks Luvinbluegills, thansk for the pm

Here is a link for the SMP (Skip Morris Panfish). I also like any soft hackle, the SHWAPF, and the Universal Nymph. At this time of year, where I live in Texas, a size 16 Caddis Nymph in light green is good as well. A size 16 Mayfly Cripple (a loose copy I have tied) has worked well on topwater as has this EZ Foam Bug.

Brian

QUOTE (millerwb @ Apr 2 2005, 08:39 AM)
Here is a link for the SMP (Skip Morris Panfish). I also like any soft hackle, the SHWAPF, and the Universal Nymph. At this time of year, where I live in Texas, a size 16 Caddis Nymph in light green is good as well. A size 16 Mayfly Cripple (a loose copy I have tied) has worked well on topwater as has this EZ Foam Bug.

Brian

Thanks bugeyes.gif

that SMP looks differnt then the SMP in my book by skip morris. hmm tongue.gif

ITS ALL BOUT THE BREAM KILLER....

THEY CANT KEEP OFF IT!!

If you need a pic let me know. I've done best with browns lightly weighted.