Fly Tying
Po0gs

Panfish Flies

QUOTE (ArkieFlyGuy @ Apr 4 2005, 11:18 AM)
Fish this weighted fly below a popper and hang on!!! You can vary the chenille and rubber leg colors....

user posted image

WE ARKIES KNOW BREAM!

Just came in from taking the boys out for a couple of hours at the pond in our neighborhood. Spotted a lot of bass but none were feeding on anything - just cruising off shore 10 ft or so.

However, I took my first fish with the first fly rod I've built. Caught qnd landed 2 bluegills and 1 pumpkin seed. A 4th fish got away - fishing barbless hooks. I had tried black wooly buggers, white ones too, red nose dace and finally - the winner - a Carrot Nymph. You can see one on my 2004 Contest Page - see the link below. It is an easy tie. I make the bodies more cigar shaped now and do a better job on the head cement rolleyes.gif

I've also had good luck with these in bright green, yellow and red.

cheers,

Michael

what a thrill it was to catch a fish on a rod you make yourself! biggrin.gif

That little carrot nymph did it's trick again today. Could see the bass laying in shallow water and cruising the shore. They ignored a variety of softbaits and spinners my kids were throwing at them. Ignored several colors of buggers but they hit the carrot nymph. Caught a few blue gills on them too.

mhackney, your carrot nymph is one of two styles I've seen. There's another 'carrot nymph' made with a body of silk floss, and a peacock herl thorax.

I've actually used your style but I based it on UK soft hackles. Burnt orange chenille was the body and some wraps of partridge. It worked pretty good on those red gilled, rainbow bass smile.gif

i took 5 bluegills in about 3 hours on an ant i tied, when the ant gets "messed" up it looks like idk a black insect hatching, it was cool none the less

In spring I generally fish what I was told was a Prince nymph, I don't think it really is...Beadchain eyes, marabou tail, marabou dubbed body of the same color as tail...I always do good on purple and black. Its an easy tie, and the messier the dubbed body the better...Not a real technical tie....

During Summer I fish big adult damsal and dragonflies...Fishing those bigger flies helps keep you from having to release small fish after small fish, and it gives those big boys some time to check that fly out...Other than that...Adams dry and ant patterns.

If you want to pick up some bass at the same time...Foam spiders.

Nope, not a Prince nymph. A Prince has a Peacock herl body, white biot tails and "wings", brown hackle legs tied swept back, and often a bead head, though not necessarily.

that hares ear nymph works wonders

so does my ant i call it the antron ant, just dubbed thorax hackkle feather in middle and dubbed head when wet it slick back and looks irresistable, goign to hoefully get some bass tonight and some more sunnies.

Panfish seem to hit just about anything it seems. Depending on water clarity, sometimes bright colors work well and sometimes drab colors work better. Rubber legs are alway a plus I think. I have caught panfish on small poppers, small clousers, small woolley buggers, trout nymphs, foam beetles/bugs, etc. Those are all good choices. You can vary the hook sizes a bit, but usually 12 is the smallest I go, as I get "tired" of taking off the little peckers that hit the small hooks and are able to hold on!! The Belt Buckles are the ones you are after!! Oh yea, a 5 wt. is not too heavy for panfish at all. I think it is a perfect choice actually, as you never know when a bucket mouth might be lurking around. I fish sometimes with my 2 wt. and that is fun too! Good luck and have fun!

QUOTE (CTXFINS @ Apr 28 2005, 05:02 PM)
Panfish seem to hit just about anything it seems. Depending on water clarity, sometimes bright colors work well and sometimes drab colors work better. Rubber legs are alway a plus I think. I have caught panfish on small poppers, small clousers, small woolley buggers, trout nymphs, foam beetles/bugs, etc. Those are all good choices. You can vary the hook sizes a bit, but usually 12 is the smallest I go, as I get "tired" of taking off the little peckers that hit the small hooks and are able to hold on!! The Belt Buckles are the ones you are after!! Oh yea, a 5 wt. is not too heavy for panfish at all. I think it is a perfect choice actually, as you never know when a bucket mouth might be lurking around. I fish sometimes with my 2 wt. and that is fun too! Good luck and have fun!

2 wt sounds fun.

thanks for all the replys, being able to go out fishing now due to weather is good i kinda got a feel of what is effective and what isnt,