Fly Tying
fiveonomo

How to get started

This may be a stupid question, but I thought I would ask.  I want to tie and I have been reading and watching youtube videos in anticipation of this.  I have attended a tying night at my local fly shop and the owner walked me through tying a few flies.  I had a great time and I am sure that I want to do this.  Do you just go buy the vise and the supplies and get at it?  I am new and not sure about when to jump, but as I am sitting here I realize I am not going to learn it by reading about it, I need to do it.  I trust the guys at my local fly shop and they will get me straight on what I need, but I just wanted to know if thats how it usually goes..........just jump right in?  Anyway, thanks in advance for your responses.  

Basics, get a vise and tools through your local shop that you are comfortable with, then material to tie a pattern or two that interests you. But basics are thread control and material placement. Learning thread control will solve a lot of issues, thread tension, learning when and why you want to spin or flatten thread. Then basic material placement, pinch wraps, and the effect of thread torque on different  materials and material placement. Fly patterns are more about material selection, placement, and consistency with proportions. That will develop into your personal style and what you like. There are a lot of ways to tie a fly pattern and material substitutes are only limited by your taste for classic or artistic patterns and your pocketbook, you will add more material as you progress. Most of all have fun with it, if you don't like the results take a razor to the fly and tie it again. just my $.02

I first started by buying a huge collection of material at auction.  It contained way more materials than I needed to start, which I think delayed me learning the skills/techniques I should have to begin with because I went hog wild tying anything and everything I could.  So I would agree with @cphubert.  Jump right in with the basic tools and just the materials you need to tie a few patterns that you already use on a regular basis, but take your time developing the basic skills, especially proportions and material use.   You'll waste alot less time and material than I.  Then post the photos of your flies on the forum.  

5 hours ago, cphubert said:

Basics, get a vise and tools through your local shop that you are comfortable with, then material to tie a pattern or two that interests you. But basics are thread control and material placement. Learning thread control will solve a lot of issues, thread tension, learning when and why you want to spin or flatten thread. Then basic material placement, pinch wraps, and the effect of thread torque on different  materials and material placement. Fly patterns are more about material selection, placement, and consistency with proportions. That will develop into your personal style and what you like. There are a lot of ways to tie a fly pattern and material substitutes are only limited by your taste for classic or artistic patterns and your pocketbook, you will add more material as you progress. Most of all have fun with it, if you don't like the results take a razor to the fly and tie it again. just my $.02

57 minutes ago, niveker said:

I first started by buying a huge collection of material at auction.  It contained way more materials than I needed to start, which I think delayed me learning the skills/techniques I should have to begin with because I went hog wild tying anything and everything I could.  So I would agree with @cphubert.  Jump right in with the basic tools and just the materials you need to tie a few patterns that you already use on a regular basis, but take your time developing the basic skills, especially proportions and material use.   You'll waste alot less time and material than I.  Then post the photos of your flies on the forum.  

Guys thanks so much for the advice.  I had read somewhere to just pick a couple patterns, buy the supplies for those, and focus on getting them right just like you guys are saying.  I think tomorrow I am going to purchase my vise and some tools as well as some materials with the help of the guys at my shop.  Thanks again for the responses, this site is a very valuable resource.  

Get a decent (not expensive,) vise American Made if your budget will handle it.  This is the most important tool and a price range from $55.00 to $150.00 they will outlast any Asian made vise, and if you decide to stop tying, there will be some good resale value.  Scissors, and whip finish tool and a ceramic thread bobbin and your good to go for starting tools.  Your first material or supply purchase can be simply hooks and thread.  You can tie a LOT of patterns using just thread.  Add copper wire salvaged from old computer ribbon cables, or electrical cords, and you have ribbing material.  YARN is where most dubbing comes from and you can find LOTS of yarn you can use CHEAP.  If you hunt there a lot of materials you can harvest Feathers, and hides from many different birds and animals.  If there is a hunting season on it you can tie with it.  NEVER collect or possess NON game bird feathers, you can get in serious trouble collecting songbird shore bird and other protected bird feathers.  

Concentrate on techniques at first.  As you look at YouTube, don't get hung up of specific product names .  Donnies Dandy Dubbing is the same as  Sammies Super Stuff, just find something that ether will float (if treated,) or sinks and is close in color.  There very few products sold as "fly tying materials," that started out that way they are almost all re-imagined from something else.  The only exception is DRY FLY HACKLE feathers.  These Genetically bread birds  are raised for the qualities of their feathers for fly tying.  They are one of the few things that I buy from a "fly shop."  And I always want to shop for these IN PERSON, at my local shop, or at the local shops when I am fishing away from my home waters.  

Buying a book may help to boost your confidence, and many of them are not very expensive. There are many to choose from. I think Orvis publishes two (I have one of them).   Your local library may have some as well.

Bill

fivonomo - first ask yourself what you like to fish for then find a tyer who likes the same thing and tie with them or find a historical tyer that has developed simple and effective fly patterns in that area.  If you like warm water as well as trout I'd suggest you look at Jack Gartside.  He has an on-line site with his patterns that's been maintained after his death at jackgartside.com.

And I am in the middle of running a series of fly swaps designed for the beginner tyer - just check out the "Fly Swaps and Contests" section of this forum.  Feel free to PM (personal message) me by clicking on my name or icon if you have any questions - I've been tying for ~50 years and am always happy to help.

Kim

I'll chime in. I agree with what everyone said. Get a good vise and some basic tools. GOOD scissors are a must, don't scrimp on scissors. I personally like Dr. Slick.  Bodkin, hackle pliers, bobbin holders and maybe a half hitch and/or whip finishing tool. You can get a bodkin that has a half hitch tool on the butt end. You can half hitch and/or whip finish by hand but starting out a tool is easier. Get at least two bobbin holders so you can preload them with a couple of colors of thread. Trust me on that, only one bobbin holder makes for a real PITA.  As @WWKimba said what do like to fish for and how (still water, running water, salt water) will initially determine what you might want to tie. Then either hit up you tube or get a book.  Watch and read, see what materials are common to a few flies you want to tie. Get those, don't go hog wild. That'll be tough I know. Ask questions, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Tie your first fly and take a picture of it, save it for future reference.  Try to shop in person whenever possible as @utyer said.  Post pics here. Most of all keep it fun.

13 hours ago, utyer said:

Get a decent (not expensive,) vise American Made if your budget will handle it.  This is the most important tool and a price range from $55.00 to $150.00 they will outlast any Asian made vise, and if you decide to stop tying, there will be some good resale value.  Scissors, and whip finish tool and a ceramic thread bobbin and your good to go for starting tools.  Your first material or supply purchase can be simply hooks and thread.  You can tie a LOT of patterns using just thread.  Add copper wire salvaged from old computer ribbon cables, or electrical cords, and you have ribbing material.  YARN is where most dubbing comes from and you can find LOTS of yarn you can use CHEAP.  If you hunt there a lot of materials you can harvest Feathers, and hides from many different birds and animals.  If there is a hunting season on it you can tie with it.  NEVER collect or possess NON game bird feathers, you can get in serious trouble collecting songbird shore bird and other protected bird feathers.  

Concentrate on techniques at first.  As you look at YouTube, don't get hung up of specific product names .  Donnies Dandy Dubbing is the same as  Sammies Super Stuff, just find something that ether will float (if treated,) or sinks and is close in color.  There very few products sold as "fly tying materials," that started out that way they are almost all re-imagined from something else.  The only exception is DRY FLY HACKLE feathers.  These Genetically bread birds  are raised for the qualities of their feathers for fly tying.  They are one of the few things that I buy from a "fly shop."  And I always want to shop for these IN PERSON, at my local shop, or at the local shops when I am fishing away from my home waters.  

Thanks so much for the informative response, it was very helpful.  I purchased a vise today but I didn't go cheap, this is a personal preference thing I guess.  I will never have to buy another one and if I wanted to sell because I find out this is not for me i'm sure I could move it.  I am surrounded by hunters and thought that I could use some material from deer, birds, turkeys, etc.  I really appreciate the information and the time you took to post it.

Thanks @Sandan!  I really appreciate your input, this forum is so helpful.  I bought a vise today and I swung for the fences.  Buy once cry once.  Thanks again my friend.

25 minutes ago, fiveonomo said:

Thanks @Sandan!  I really appreciate your input, this forum is so helpful.  I bought a vise today and I swung for the fences.  Buy once cry once.  Thanks again my friend.

@fiveonomo Congrats. what vise did you get? I'm a fence swinger too. Welcome to the world of fly tying. It's like martial arts, the more you learn the more you there is to learn and the more you want to learn.  Definitely hit up your hunting buddies for materials. 

7 hours ago, Sandan said:

@fiveonomo Congrats. what vise did you get? I'm a fence swinger too. Welcome to the world of fly tying. It's like martial arts, the more you learn the more you there is to learn and the more you want to learn.  Definitely hit up your hunting buddies for materials. 

Thanks Sandan!  I went with the Regal Revolution Stainless Jaw Vise, got the tool bar and all in a custom orange color.  I shouldn't need another vise.  Maybe the big game head if I get into the saltwater stuff like I eventually want to.  I talked to one of my buddies today and he told me he would keep some deer hair/tails for me.  I can't wait to get started, I should pick up my vise on Monday.

You did well with a Regal, great vise.  Mine is older than my 25 year old Nor-vise and is part of my travel kit.  When your getting hair, tails, and skins from hunters, make sure you get it cleaned and dried well, before putting those in with your other tying materials.