Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

And on the Christmas Swap...

First the bad news. While I went down to town to get some extra bubble mailers some Grinch snuck in and stole all the fly boxes. On a lighter side there are no fly fishermen in this town so he's going to be sorely disappointed. Yeah, I try that every year and no one believes me so I'll let you know all the boxes went out yesterday. A note that the Christmas colored red and snow flake envelopes that say "Don't Open 'til Christmas" are the wrapping. No opening until Christmas. You've been told. The manila envelopes can open since the boxes are all wrapped.

Second, I'd like to make a couple of honorable mentions here in gifts that were awarded by a spin wheel so everyone had a chance. The knife made by Vicente was top prize, A box and flies so Above and Beyond by Bachus 2 was the nicest ever to come in on Christmas swap and that's not to take anything away from a lot of great gifts. Two nice boxes and flies were contributed by Denduke without any returns wanted so some lucky people got a complete extra box in there stocking. WWKimba and Stabgnid and a couple of other contributed so there are extras from them in a lot of boxes. No one should be disappointed in this years swap. If I didn't miss your package the hand done snowflakes are courtesy of Rick Zieger. Just to mention I put my name in the countdown wheel for the specials and was the second name knocked out. Bummer.

I'd also like to mention a couple of companies that contributed enough last year I had extras left and scattered randomly around the packages. The Mad Scientist from Fly Tying Dungeon had items. Squimpish Flies had his hair packs in some packages and Mel Moore from Bluegill Bug Tyers sent in Killer Bug Yarn that I hope I hit every package. Random gifts came in the were distributed. Keep these guys in mind when looking to order something they handle and Mel from  https://thebluegillbugshop.com/  is fairly new and expanding all the time and prices and service are great.

Now, as I got toward the end I always panic, go through the packages again, and again, check my notes, even go through and count the envelopes and boxes that came in. I sincerely hope I missed no one and tried to match your type of flies with your fishing though not always possible. Maybe after Christmas there can be a swap ran like "Will trade some great saltwater flies for panfish flies". My wife asks me if I really enjoy going through all this and especially with this being the biggest year yet across two boards and Facebook. YES...I really enjoy this and am only sorry I'm not there to see all these packages get opened and hopefully they'll sit on your tying desk until they can go in the field with you. Every year I learn a few things to help for next year and only hope I'm blessed with the opportunity to do this again for ya'all. 

Thanks for all the hard work you put into these Christmas swaps Nick.  It's greatly appreciated!

After running some "normal" swaps over the years I can't say THANK YOU enough for all the great work you did on this undertaking!

Kim

Thank you so much for hosting, Nick.  I can't even begin to imagine the logistics of pulling this off.  The effort is greatly appreciated.  Looking forward to seeing what arrives (on the 25th, of course).

Chris

Got mine today, thanks again nick and those who supplied the bonus materials.

On a side note whoever got the knife handwash and dry no dishwasher.

You know CCW, in going through names and addresses I actually thought about you and wondered why you weren't on Santa's list this year.

Vicente, all I can say is that you're going to MORE than pleasantry surprised when you open your gift. Just to let you know so it bugs you even more to just see it sitting there waiting for you.

Richmc, I'm assuming you got one of the bonus gifts. Keep your hands off them for another couple weeks.