Fly Tying
Gilly

Whats in your fly box............so far

Just curious what others have tied up so far, awaiting the ice to clear.....This is some of what I've tied so far.....I tie 2 or 3 of each pattern and if it works I tie more.

user posted image

For Great Lakes Steelhead...I've been Tying Hex's, Stones, and Caddis by the dozens.

For Trout I've been going heavy with big articulated streamers and some small softhackles for smaller streams.

For Bass it's been some deer hair bugs and clousers.

And then there are carp. Lots of buggy nymphs, small craw's, and miniature bonefish flies.

It's been a busy winter!

Carp.......they must be one hell of a fight.............what are they like in the pan?

Wouldn't know. The only fish I keep these days are the occasional walleye or a few panfish here and there. I don't even know of anyone who has eaten a carp.

Ive heard it taste good. I have never eaten it but smelt it being cooked by my neighbor and it stunk. Ive heard that its like that.

Which box to you want to know holly cow I cant list what I ve been tying up. But I can tell you I went fishing this morning and took a box of buggers all weighted with either cones or red glass beads size #2.

4 or 5 white, black yellow and olive. I was asked to go fish a differnt body of water tommorow so I will fill a box with smaller buggers 2 or 3 each colour size 6, a few muddlers same size and some nymphs That I tied up. I might even tie a few more tonight so my budy can use some as well.

There was an episode of Iron Chef where the ingredient was Carp! I have a bunch of recipies for them. You just wanna make sure you get them from clean water. If you can find them in a clear stream they'd likely be the best they can be.

i caught a carp out of a local lake fishing with my grandpa and he took it home to clean and smoke, claiming it was excellent smoked. i was never did taste it, as it was all eaten before it made its way back to me to be tasted. may just be a grandpa thing...LOL i dunno-very skeptical.....

Use to eat carp quite alot.

Have to score the meat and fry in real hot grease to cook the bones. Liked buffalo alot better.

The asian carp that are in the rivers around Missouri are filter feeders and have very white and flakey meat. very good to eat. Still eat them and will continue as long as i keep catchin them. They have been caught in the 80 lb range here and fight like a freight train. Sometimes they will even jump into the boat while out motorin around. That has happened more than once. Thats a freebie dinner!

Duckydoty

In my box right now is mostly steelhead stuff that I have been tying, Stones, Caddis, Eggs, Nymphs

Will be filling up the box with trout patterns in a couple weeks

SD

I'm almost done, I've been tying for Steelhead, nymphs, wooly buggers, caddis, and streamers. Dries: humpy, adams, caddis, midge, trico, stimulator, ect. Nymphs: copper john, stones, assorted caddis, hares ear, pheasant tail, ect. Emergers: klinkhammer special, parloop mayflies, caddis of coarse, and some new patterns that caught my eye from tying emergers (book), like parasol emergers.

Paul

I've tyed up lots of flies. Mosly local patterns for the opener wich was today. Didn't get out though. I tyed some Smelt Muddlers, Lester the Lobster, Bras D'or Creepers, also some Black Ghosts and Mickey Finns.

Heading out for some browns when I get off work at 3:00 am.

Wooly Buggers, heavy ones. And Scuds, also heavy ones.

All in dark colors. Black mostly for the Woolys since that`s the darkest color I know. And dark green/orange or brown/yellow for scuds.

All the fish I`ve caught so far this year were caught using a sinking leader, which tells me they`re all still down there.

I should add that I fish a small stream naturally stocked with greyling and brown trout most of the time. I caught a nice trout friday a week ago. My biggest so far for this year. Here`s a pic:

TROUT

It tackled a size 12 black Wooly Bugger.

Andy