Fly Tying
breambuster

Threading A Ceramic Bobbin

I have a ceramic bobbin that is nearly impossible to thread by the “suck on a straw” method. Maybe there is some trick to that that I have never learned. If so, would someone tell me the secret? I also have a metal bobbin threader, but I don’t feel good about using it on ceramic. What other strategies have you guys found for threading a ceramic bobbin? 

BB

I have always used a metal bobbin threader on the two dozen or so ceramic bobbins I have.  Some of my bobbins are a couple decades old and never had an issue, concern or thought about it. 

48 minutes ago, breambuster said:

I have a ceramic bobbin that is nearly impossible to thread by the “suck on a straw” method. Maybe there is some trick to that that I have never learned. If so, would someone tell me the secret? I also have a metal bobbin threader, but I don’t feel good about using it on ceramic. What other strategies have you guys found for threading a ceramic bobbin? 

BB

Buy some dental floss threaders.

1008236.jpg

use a simple loop of monofilament inserted from the spool end of the bobbin tube, insert the thread into the loop and pull

cheap and saves you a trip to the big box store

i doubt a metal threader will contribute to any damage on the hard ceramic tube

you should be able to use the "draw" method on a straight hollow ceramic tube. the dr slick "glass" bobbin holders are the worse one out there. they have a bead on both ends of the tube making it harder to use the "draw" method

Just use a piece of mono fishing string. Heat it up with a lighter or what ever and crimp to a point on the end. Here is one I made. Just an idea for you. Could use a stick from your yard for the handle or not even put a handle on it at all. Just some black tape, so if you drop it, it is easier to find. 

threader.jpg

I spin my threader to get through my ceramic bobbin holders.  Pro tip, before using a new bobbin holder run some wet tissue or something like that to clean the barrel. 

Like Poopdeck I've always used the wire threader and never had a problem with the ceramics getting rough and cutting thread. I have had the simple metal tubes reach a point where they were cutting thread but never a ceramic, which is all I use on threads smaller than 10/0.

I agree with silvercreek.  Used that method for years and on packet lasts an awefull long time.

What I have used for a long time is a high E string from a guitar and what I have seen some tiers do with the guitar string the will take a used gun casing and insert the loose ends in and fill with lead. For me I always have used up guitar strings that I can clip a piece off and fold it in half  one thing I like about the wire is that I can spin it in the tube and it will remove the wax build  up from the thread.

If you "wet" the end of the thread before inserting it into the tube, it's sticking to the side.  That would be why you can draw it through by sucking on the opposite end.

Get the thread started into the tube dry and it'll draw through, I believe.  I snip the end of the thread with my sharpest scissors just before inserting it.

23 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I have always used a metal bobbin threader on the two dozen or so ceramic bobbins I have.  Some of my bobbins are a couple decades old and never had an issue, concern or thought about it. 

Same here-  I can't say decades but I haven't had any issues.  The only bobbin issue I've ever had was from the really cheap metal one that came with my first set of tools.  After a year it started chewing thread so now I use it exclusively for wrapping wire.

I have the same problem with bobbin holders that have a ceramic INSERT.  The floss threaders seem to hang up on the INSERT edge when inserted from the spool end of the tube.  Metal threaders are longer and if inserted at the tip  won't hang up.  Full ceramic tubes (eg Rite bobbins) have no issue as there is no edge to catch on.

Norm, thanks for caveat on the Dr Slick glass tube product.

Thanks, Bob H