Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Cooking

Regular people: Uses salt and Pepper while cooking fish.

Me: GEORGE LIKES HIS TROUT SPICY!!!!! CHIPOLTE POWDER FOR LIFE!!!!!!

What is your go to seasoning for pan frying or grilling trout?

I can't think of a better way to kill the flavor of a nice piece of fish than throwing chipotle pepper all over it. I use very little seasoning, especially spicy seasoning on anything. I like the taste of beef, fish, pork as is. A little butter, a little pepper maybe some olive oil is all anything needs. Except hot wings.

Depends on my mood, type of fish, and if or what I'm having for a side, two of my favorites  breakfast; seasoned flour- salt, pepper, maybe or not a little jalapeno or habanero dust (home grown and dried)  pan fried  w/ egg & home fries,  streamside ;  pan fried trout in clarified butter w/ fresh fiddleheads (cleaned & par boiled) and if really lucky I'll add wild mushroom and wild green onion sautéed with the fiddleheads no seasoning just the earthy flavors  (catching the fish is sometimes the easier part, finding the rest can be hit or miss) 

When I was young we had fish for breakfast a lot, I didn't have a say or any idea about spice choices until later in life. I enjoy most fish without a lot of seasoning.

I don't do trout.  Had some in Wyoming once ... didn't like the texture and have never eaten any since.

Sunfish?    Fried with a very light coating of "Drake's Mix".   And salt.  I salt everything.  I put table salt on my sea salt, I'm that bad about it.

11 hours ago, TIER said:

GEORGE LIKES HIS TROUT SPICY!!!!! CHIPOLTE POWDER FOR LIFE!!!!!!

You know what your doing with spices don't ya?....YOU'RE KILLING INDEPENDENT GEORGE 😁

I'm with Norm when it comes to seasoning. I love the taste of a good piece of fish and usually just bread and fry it and don't add any sort of spices or seasoning to it.

One January, our college biology class went to a local stream that feeds into Chickamauga Lake. We cut bamboo poles and attached a small hook with a piece of worms to catch mud puppies that were due to spawn. The professor put some Zebco outfits and a paper bag into his boat. The bag held crappie jigs. He said after we set the poles, there were some downed cedar trees that needed investigating. Three of us caught a bunch of crappie, don't remember how many. I caught one that measured 14 inches. Prof said if I caught another like that, I failed the course. My boat partner worked as a guide in MN or WI. He brought a roll of foil, filet knife, salt & pepper and a stick of butter. He filleted the crappie, rubbed them with butter and applied S&P and wrapped the filets in foil. They were baked in coals and were eaten with our fingers. Best fish I have ever had and I have had lots of different fish. I attribute it to the water temperature at about 45 degrees. Hope dinner is ready as I'm making myself hungry. Tight lines to all!

Hundred miles from Nawlins lotta Cajun/Creole influences.   They like to “blacken” fillets and even marinate overnight in Cayenne pepper.   Not really spicy hot when fried but still a little wang so  kids can eat too.  Then strong kinda oily fish like redfish they bake in oven drenched in tomato sauce, “cubion”, or grill “on the half shell.”   You fillet them leave the skin and scales on and remove after they cook awhile “shell side” down.   And most often any seafood is seasoned with TC....salted or plain.  Ayeee!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackening_(cooking)

9EE23430-2BE3-425E-BE68-6BB8234F86B6.png

jumbo shrimp with tony's seasoning above, pepper, onion and garlic powder fried in olive oil and butter

''I gha-rawn-tee! '' (guarantee)

Hear ya go TIER....Never tried chipotle on our beloved Specks(spotted weakfish).  Might be worth a try.  Oh to be young again...Can’t figure out if those are snow flakes or poinsettias????😛

6337E82B-B937-477A-B92B-C13DAD79EEEE.png

3 hours ago, denduke said:

Hear ya go TIER....Never tried chipotle on our beloved Specks(spotted weakfish).  Might be worth a try.  Oh to be young again...Can’t figure out if those are snow flakes or poinsettias????😛

6337E82B-B937-477A-B92B-C13DAD79EEEE.png

Those fish i am afraid are already spicy