Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Maction17

Redfish Ritalin

This weekend, I kicked off my new hobby with about a dozen flies on a pattern (and variations) that my guide ties on in the Everglades. This morning, I moved onto another pattern, "Redfish Ritalin", which is a pattern the guys at 239 Flies in Bonita Springs feature. My fly selections are in part based on the availability of "kits". So far, the most difficult part of fly tying has been just how overwhelming all the material choices are. The EP fibers alone I can't keep straight. Starting off by buying a couple of these kits-- each one makes roughly a dozen flies, sometimes more-- eliminates that part of the process and allows me to get comfortable with a couple materials at a time. I also can't overstate how helpful it is to have videos.

Anyway, here's fly #13, the Redfish Ritalin 

IMG_7240.jpeg

IMG_7239.jpeg

Nice fly! 
I never buy kits. Sometimes I do not have the exact materials to tie whatever I decide to tie next. So I substitute and improvise. It is part of the fun. Soon you will find that you use some materials often and you will start building your stash. That’s when you are in trouble...😄

Here is what happened when I tried to tie some Ritalin-ish flies last time:

02804D89-A8FD-4AB9-A3E5-B47183EA08C2.thumb.jpeg.2f2b24c01b44b225b03a56de738b29f2.jpeg

On 12/14/2020 at 8:59 PM, Bimini15 said:

Nice fly! 
I never buy kits. Sometimes I do not have the exact materials to tie whatever I decide to tie next. So I substitute and improvise. It is part of the fun. Soon you will find that you use some materials often and you will start building your stash. That’s when you are in trouble...😄

Here is what happened when I tried to tie some Ritalin-ish flies last time:

02804D89-A8FD-4AB9-A3E5-B47183EA08C2.thumb.jpeg.2f2b24c01b44b225b03a56de738b29f2.jpeg

thanks for sharing this! It’s really helpful to see something similar with different materials. Is that just an EP fiber or similar off the back?

1 hour ago, Maction17 said:

Is that just an EP fiber or similar off the back?

Can’t remember exactly.
Either congo hair from FTD or just a piece of polypropylene rope/yarn brushed out. Much the same effect for the whiskers. Palmer chenille for the body with a dubbing ball for the red spot.

Nice looking fly, @Maction17.  That would definitely serve you well in the marsh down in Louisiana.

I caught a few nice slot reds on a purple and chartreuse Redfish Ritalin earlier this week.  I've been using "Redfish Brush" dubbing brushes from Sight Cast Fishing when I tie mine. 

Chris