Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
feathers5

Sally Hansen

2 hours ago, feathers5 said:

Is there a way to thin Sally Hansen? It seems to get thick after a few months.

Do not use acetone. Read this:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=84206&p=674888

Use a nail polish thinner like Sally Beauty available at Sally Beauty Shops which are just about everywhere. It is safer.

https://www.sallybeauty.com/nails/nail-polish/nail-color-remover-and-thinner/nail-polish-thinner/SBS-163400.html?

SBS-163400.thumb.png.0b13296304f0bc7f27cec994a6baf972.png

I have no issues with acetone and use SH as well as dollar store nail polish.I DO put a couple BBs in all the little bottles to shake them up and mix them.Some of the colors seperate like any paint does.For some reason i find Bic brand permanent markers last longer than Sharpies.I also prefer gorilla super glue over all the others.

Here’s trick I’ve used for years with Sally Hansen’s... Whenever the stuff started to thicken up ( as a commercial tyer it was usually at the half bottle remaining level...) I’d open a brand new bottle and pour half of it into the old bottle- then carefully re-cap the new bottle and set it aside.  A quick shake of that old bottle, new and old would mix nicely and I was back in business... 

The next time the finish started to thicken all I had to do was add the remaining half of that “new bottle” and keep on tying.  As long as it was only opened once and tightly re-sealed it was  still brand new thin finish...

Hope this helps

Nail polish remover no longer has acetone in it. The government banned it as they know what's best for us.😊

On 12/21/2020 at 4:34 AM, skeet3t said:

Nail polish remover no longer has acetone in it. The government banned it as they know what's best for us.😊

And that is why nail polish thinner is a better thinner for Sally Hansen than acetone. It is both safer and less volatile so the nail polish needs less frequent thinning.

I buy acetone and DNA by the gallon for woodworking and other things. Never had a problem with it. Is the SH formula any different, too?