Fly Tying
fiveonomo

First Attempt at Tying a Fly......Be Easy

Much better proportions!  I agree with Meeshka, tie up some more and give the fish their vote! (Unless you are framing your flies, their's is the ONLY vote that really counts anyway!

After you tie those 6 (or so) flies see which one looks the best for when you tie your next flies!

Kim

4 hours ago, fiveonomo said:

beef it up with one wrap of lead wire

Here's a tip that may be helpful. 

Generally, the rule of thumb is to match the thickness of lead wire to the hook. When I don't have lead wire thin enough, or I just want a little bulk/weight, I'll flatten the wire a bit with something cylindrical (my bodkin) much like rolling out pie dough.  Also, copper wire form old electrical cords/wires is practically free and can be used to add bulk and a little weight to smaller flies, winding it around the hook until you get the desired thickness and then cover with thread, easier to get a nice taper than with lead also.    

5 hours ago, Sandan said:

@fiveonomo, here's another 2 ideas. Either wrap the whole thorax w/ lead (not just one wrap or maybe I'm misunderstanding you), which will leave you with having to taper the thread base to the lead or use two or three peacock herls. What size are you tying?  16 use 3, 18 use 2. Tie in the herls by the tips, then twist them into a rope. Don't twist 'em too tightly, they'll break. Then wrap. Try that before the lead. I think the lead at this stage of your game is gonna be an impediment. 

Thanks @Sandan, when I get back to it tomorrow I may give that a shot.  I was hoping to do some tonight but it's not gonna happen tonight, too tired.

On 12/17/2020 at 3:59 PM, fiveonomo said:

Thanks @Sandan!  After I was done I thought she was a little skinny.  Ill take a shot again at it tonight and maybe beef it up with one wrap of lead wire, that should help fill the thorax out.  Thanks again.

I always prefer wrapping under the body than to use a bead on nymphs size 12 and smaller. I think they fish better and catch more fish in my experience. Especially so for the Elk Hair Caddis ( my most proven/trusted/versatile nymph). Just my opinion but to me at least, beads suck. I've proven it to myself time and again. There is one exception and that's black tungsten beads. And I tie one gigantic black/grizzly/peacock herl with a gold bead or black brass bead and that fishes great in low light or early morning gray days. But for the average nymph I pass on the beads. To me, beads turn more fish off than on.

Fiveonomo: If you want to be real technical you can tie PTs or any suggestive pattern in proportions that match the nymphs you're trying to imitate. For example, clinger nymphs are a little fatter at the thorax to allow them to hold onto rocks, etc.,  and swimmers are lean to help them move through the water. Your PTs might suggest the swimmers.  I would say most people tie them and don't pay much attention to those things. Let the fish be the judge. Even if you feel your fly is ugly it will catch fish. Present it in the right manner; at the right time; and in the right place; they will eat it no matter what food you are trying to suggest. Trout won't refuse well-placed food just because it's not what's hatching at the present time.

23 hours ago, fiveonomo said:

I am certainly a list guy and use them for most anything I am doing.  I am not so much an artist or even a doodler....I have the drawing/sketching skill of a rock.  However, I do like this idea and maybe a I will try it, I just don't want to get hung up too much on drawing.  My thoughts are it all comes down to the person tying the flies. 

Try a 2-D (rather than a 3-D) diagram.  Sketch the hook to the correct proportions, and then "decorate" it, and assess. Then do it again, if desired. To my mind, it would be impossible to get the proportions better on a real hook then you are able to get them in your diagram (YMMpossiblyV).

One things I left out of my last post.  When you look at your hook in the vise, take a moment visualize the key "division lines" along the hook shank, just like in your diagram, before and during your tying.

Surely you are already on the road to success!   Have fun!

Bill

As has been said you're your own worst critic!  Besides a class I did the fly tying program over at Fly Anglers On line and it helped a lot!  But my local shop had free class's.  There are plenty of Video's on YouTube.  But I do agree have a photo or an actual fly of what you're trying to tie is very helpful!!  Enjoy it!!  We were all the new kid at one time! 

31 minutes ago, Fatman said:

As has been said you're your own worst critic!  Besides a class I did the fly tying program over at Fly Anglers On line and it helped a lot!  But my local shop had free class's.  There are plenty of Video's on YouTube.  But I do agree have a photo or an actual fly of what you're trying to tie is very helpful!!  Enjoy it!!  We were all the new kid at one time! 

FAOL was my original fly site - and yes, that is a nice set of classes.  I'm going back to it now to refresh on hair hackles - I haven't tied any in over 10 years.  Are/were you a member of that site?  I am a member for ~10 years now but it is a mere shell of it's former self.

Kim