Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SalarMan

Advice, Critique, Commentary, Suggestions, Etc.

I've been looking at various flies from our quite enthusiastic and prolific tyers on this particular part of the Fly Tying Forum site. Quite often there is a request, desire, expressed need...well you get the idea...regarding help with a fly and the work that was done. SERIOUS comment is a difficult situation for anyone I gather, at least it is for me. When I see obvious flaws, followed by questionable suggestions or tips on correcting a tyer's issues I tend to back off and stay out of the fray. I do not wish to either hurt someone's feelings or put down their pride in their efforts...but then I remember early on being the recipient of some strong criticism and thinking how harsh the person was. I learned very quickly there was never any malice or bad intent on the part of the person making the comments...just a true desire to help me improve my tying and to progress to a level they believed my abilities could and should take me. I have over these years become quite friendly with virtually all of the folks who have been a great help to me despite being separated by time and distance.

On that note, I wonder what those of you who follow the Artistic & Classic Salmon Flies part of the forum think. In other words...should I open my big mouth 😁 and offer some well intended if sometimes blunt opinions? Those thoughts would ALWAYS be with honest intent to help...period. As I said elsewhere here...my desire is to pass along the knowledge that has been passed along to me by folks from literally all over the planet. I don't wish to be THE classic salmon fly guru or anything...I just want to share the good fortune I've had along the way.

PLEASE...feel free to be honest, open and blunt with any and all thoughts or opinions!!!

7 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

should I open my big mouth 😁 and offer some well intended if sometimes blunt opinions?

👍

as long as you follow the "guidelines" 😀

Please read these critique guidelines - The Fly Tying Bench - Fly Tying (flytyingforum.com)

i do think there are flies in this "Artistic & Classic Salmon Flies" category that just dont belong here

i appreciate a good critique now and then but i dont go out of my way asking for it

others just dont want to listen

I would NEVER violate those guidelines!!! I would only respond when asked for my thoughts or ideas...period. Diplomacy, tact and politeness are MY guidelines for sharing the knowledge others have shared with me........

If someone wants input they'll ask. If not then I have nothing to say.🙂

@SalarMan ,"should I open my big mouth 😁 and offer some well intended if sometimes blunt opinions? Those thoughts would ALWAYS be with honest intent to help...period. As I said elsewhere here...my desire is to pass along the knowledge that has been passed along to me by folks from literally all over the planet. I don't wish to be THE classic salmon fly guru or anything...I just want to share the good fortune I've had along the way.

PLEASE...feel free to be honest, open and blunt with any and all thoughts or opinions!!!"

I can't speak for anyone but myself. Fire away, I'm a big boy with tough skin. I can take it. If you see where I've offered incomplete or bad advice, call it out. For me, again I can only speak for myself, that "kinder, gentler world" just isn't reality. Blunt is fine by me (just don't make fun of my spelling or grammar 😉).  So far your criticisms and advice have been extremely helpful, I thank you sincerely for them.

Any critique offered in a gentle manner is a good thing, for us observers as well as the poster.   A diplomat is known as someone who can tell you to go to Hell in such way that you look forward to the trip.

Thanks, Bob H

45 minutes ago, BobHRAH said:

Any critique offered in a gentle manner is a good thing, for us observers as well as the poster.   A diplomat is known as someone who can tell you to go to Hell in such way that you look forward to the trip.

Thanks, Bob H

I always thought it was Winston Churchill who said diplomacy is being able to tell someone to go to hell and have them ask for directions :P:P:P

Some people will ask for constructive criticism, others won't. I approach a fly, woodturning, fishing, etc. in this manner- "May I suggest...." or "You might consider..." I have been on some forums where the replies were downright hateful or obnoxious!

27 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

I always thought it was Winston Churchill who said diplomacy is being able to tell someone to go to hell and have them ask for directions :P:P:P

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock." Will Rogers.

Personally, I am enjoying the comments and discussions.  There are several people here like me that are learning this style of tying and the comments here have been way kinder and more helpful than I have seen on some other locations.  No way would I ever post a fly on some of them.  I am enjoying the beginner posts and comments.