Fly Tying
Maction17

Sourcing materials online

Any recommendations out there for purchasing tying materials online? Though I certainly prefer shopping in person (and supporting my local store), I simply seldom have the time to trek 40 minutes both ways (blame the toddlers).

I guess I'm looking for an online source with a fairly comprehensive list of materials. For whatever reason, as I begin to explore various patterns, many places I've ordered (gear) from in the past will only have 80% of the fly pattern recipe in stock. I'm also not knowledgeable enough about materials to substitute, so I'm fairly limited to sticking with the exact recipe.

Thanks for the insight.

-Mac

Hey Mac, 

I order a good deal of stuff off the auction site, depending on what it is, and I have no qualms substituting one material for another.  But I do like to see some things in person before purchasing, those usually wait until I'm near a store.   

It might help stating what type of flies you're tying (trout/bass/salt/etc.)

Mac, there is no one place that stocks everything some one somewhere tied a fly with. Don't over think this.  You don't need to be a material expert just substitute with whatever you like and go fish it. How someone else tied something that they perceive to loosely resemble or act like something is not important. I use "recipes" as nothing more than a loose guide.  You will drive yourself nuts and to the poor house at the same time if you try to buy everything that has ever been tied to a hook.  I much prefer to tie a fly,  go fish it and make my own simple observations. I like j stockard for the few simple things I require. 

Blue Quill Angler and Ole Florida Fly Shop have free shipping for the time being. That helps.

https://store.bluequillangler.com/fly-tying-materials/

https://olefloridaflyshop.com/category/tying-materials/

Wholesale Fly Co for hooks and beads and some other stuff, also free shipping now (used to be $2), good enough quality, and great prices.

http://www.wholesaleflycompany.com/

Edited by chugbug27

An up and coming shop building supplies and loyalties right now is  https://thebluegillbugshop.com/ 

Mel, who has worked hard to gather a choice of supplies as he's growing offers free shipping on all orders regardless of total price and was nice enough to give our Christmas swap enough freebies so I could add one to every package going out.

9 hours ago, Maction17 said:

Any recommendations out there for purchasing tying materials online? Though I certainly prefer shopping in person (and supporting my local store), I simply seldom have the time to trek 40 minutes both ways (blame the toddlers).

I guess I'm looking for an online source with a fairly comprehensive list of materials. For whatever reason, as I begin to explore various patterns, many places I've ordered (gear) from in the past will only have 80% of the fly pattern recipe in stock. I'm also not knowledgeable enough about materials to substitute, so I'm fairly limited to sticking with the exact recipe.

Thanks for the insight.

-Mac

under your avatar it says youre from newton mass

drive over to the bears den in taunton. they have a great shop. when ordering online they charge you the actual mailing cost regardless of what they have on the website

Bear's Den Fly Fishing Co.

Thanks for all of this, everyone. A couple of clarifications: I'm tying salt stuff. I'm a huge fan of Scott over at Bear's Den, and I  do 90% of my shopping there, but to make the trip and then spend time there, and drive back-- that's like an afternoon of fishing, and with two small kids and one on the way, I have to choose my hall passes wisely!

I  do think I  get hung up on materials matching what I'm told to tie, but thanks to you folks, I can let that go. I  know this is part of the learning curve-- bucktail, deer hair, deer belly hair, rabbit strips, crosscut rabbit strips...and feathers. So many damn feathers. But Poopdeck, you're right-- I  need to tie it up, fish it, and adjust. 

I'm presently working on McKnight's Homeslice, a saltwater version of the Home Invader. I  hope to have this fly dialed in before a summer trip to Belize that's been delayed since last summer. I abandoned the first one because I realized I  started tying too far back by the bend of the hook, so this is version #2. I  appreciate any and all feedback. Marabou, bleached grizzly rooster neck, fox fur...

IMG_7323.jpeg

giphy.gif.c5e03adfec62fdf5c4d8b3216d94eca5.gif

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!  There is a minefield of opportunity out there.  The number of online sources for fly tying material is extensive. And there is one immutable fact for all of them—No one source will have everything you might want or need.

There’s a simple checklist you can follow:

What do I Want?  (Answer this and the minefield becomes active)

What do I Need?  (A lot of specific material can be swapped with other specific material.  Do I really need three shades of pearl flashabou?)

What is Available? (This is an important question that generally requires some research.  Most fly shops and online retailers don’t carry every available iteration of any given product.  Discovering that there’s a cool shade of olive Polarflash that you’ve never seen in a fly shop or catalog can lead you in different buying directions.)

Where is it Available?  (Once you know a specific iteration of a product you want or need is available, you need to find out who might be selling it.  Basic research)

What is the Price?  (Whatever the price, if you find something you need and it is available, always factor in shipping as part of the cost.  Pay what you are willing to pay)

The Hunt:

Once you know what you want/need specifically, search for it specifically.  i.e. Olive Pearl Polarflash.

Is something available?  Search the brand name websites if they have them:  Wapsi, Hareline, Hedron, EP, etc. will show you everything they have in their brands—sizes, colors, etc.

Apart from Fly Shop online sales and dedicated online fly materials dealers there are other sources:

Amazon:  Not so great for fly tying materials, but great for those things that apply to multiple hobbies, crafts, processes, etc.  Tools, containers, cements, resins, markers, craft supplies can all be obtained through Amazon at better prices that most online fly materials retailers.

Ebay:  A gold mine of opportunity.  Tons of fly tying material available here.  Got to do your due diligence on sellers, create watch lists for specific categories of material: (i.e. Grizzly hackle) and not overpay.  Once you find something from a seller you might want to buy, be sure to review all the seller’s items and save the seller.  Sometimes you’ll find bargains and stuff you never thought you’d need.  There is a seller: Ladyflytyer that has the best bargains on a seemingly endless variety of dome eyes in every color and size imaginable.  Great source.

Factory Direct:  Many fly tying material brands sell their stuff direct to consumer via their websites.  Hedron, EP, Riverroad Creations, Firehole Outdoors are a few that come to mind.

To help you figure out what you need refer to this article Don't tie flies | Global FlyFisher | This is in reality a declaration of love to the art and craft of tying fishing flies with lots of tips for the beginning fly-tyer.  The article is a nice read BUT at the bottom they have a list of materials needed for what you like/want to tie/fish with.

Kim

I still remember the old days of this site when we did material swap box's!  That was way back when I started tying flies.  All the sites listed are great places to get things.  I have enough material to last me the rest of my life even with tying jigs on top of flies.  I've gotten great deals on fur trims from several of the places listed.  If you can find cheap rabbit hides cut your own zonkers!  Enjoy!!

On 12/22/2020 at 10:23 PM, WWKimba said:

This is great info.  I'm new to fly tying and am looking for a "go-to" shop.  I'm about an hour east of you and Troutfitter is the closest shop to me other than Bass Pro.  Just wondering what your opinion of Troutfitter.

J Stockard (jsflyfishing.com) is my go to for tying materials online.  If you're looking for synthetic materials (flash, faux fur/fiber materials, etc), The Fly Tyers Dungeon is always worth a try.  They offer some interesting options at fairly cheap prices.