Fly Tying
petelangevin

Anyone notice on youtube

How many spam videos out of china that just show stuff for sale on aliexpress and ebay?   I do a general fly tying video search for new videos and you get 15 videos with links to chinese webstores.   I wish google/youtube would filter that garbage out.   

11 hours ago, petelangevin said:

How many spam videos out of china that just show stuff for sale on aliexpress and ebay?  

ive never seen any adverts from either one and i follow 30+ tyers on youtube

ive bought from both of them with good success

I do a general search,  new videos today,  (yesterday)  there were numerous 45sec to 2 min videos for cheap chinese fly tying items.   Maxcatch, royal sissi etc,  all stuff that you will find on ali.   Its very common,  but if you focus on just specific tyers they won’t show on timeline.

post a link

im curious

any retailer has the right to post videos of products they represent or sell

i just dont bother watching them

Pete try subscribing to the tyers/anglers you like.  When they post new content you'll know and other than the typical youtube ads you won't get a ton of unsolicited stuff.

I already do,  but i do like to see what is new that i am not aware of.  Lots of great tyers out there doing videos i’d never have seen.   I guess i should ignore the aliexpress nonsense but you see 4-5 versions of the same ad its annoying almost like craigslist.   Sorry to vent.   Not being able to tie much now has me watching youtube a lot.  Covid is delaying my hand/wrist surgery and i am kind of stir crazy.  

On 12/31/2020 at 11:13 AM, petelangevin said:

I already do,  but i do like to see what is new that i am not aware of.  Lots of great tyers out there doing videos i’d never have seen.   I guess i should ignore the aliexpress nonsense but you see 4-5 versions of the same ad its annoying almost like craigslist.   Sorry to vent.   Not being able to tie much now has me watching youtube a lot.  Covid is delaying my hand/wrist surgery and i am kind of stir crazy.  

Pete you call that venting?  HA!  My wife and I now watch almost zero network TV and no network news.  We just got sick of the preaching.  When there is a story out there that I care about I'll usually research it myself then form an opinion.   I am always amazed at the information the network journalist don't report while doing their "In Depth" report.

Of course the residents from the land of Make Believe telling me how to live used to be a constant annoyance.  One night there was some environmentally concerned celeb ( I'm proud to say I wouldn't know who she was if she was sitting on the bar stool next to me) in the lounge of a private jet on TV telling the rest of us that we need to reduce our carbon footprints.  The fact she was able to say that with a straight face tells she must be some type of actress.  Anyway I'm pretty sure she didn't peddle her bike to the airport,  I'm thinking something like a V-12 Lambo was the choice because It's just to far from her 30,000 square foot sea side "bungalow".  The network TV drama shows seem to be written by 14 year olds and are laughably embarrassing.   Really ABC, you think we're going to believe that this 98lb lingerie model is really a tough NYC street cop who just beat up all those gang members?  Look she didn't even break a nail. Female empowerment in fantasy land is not worth an hour of my time thanks.

OK, so maybe that was more of a rant?

But then we got Roku and I love it.  I'm on youtube constantly.  Compared to the 3 to 5 minutes of ads between segments on regular TV the youtube ads don't really bother me.  I don't really notice what they're about and I just keep and eye on the "skip ad in 6 seconds" button.  If that's not an option then I hit the mute button until they're done unless they are advertising some type of fly fishing product of course.  

I hope you can get the CTS surgery soon, spring fishing is coming- Happy New Year!

Only watch a couple of YT videos and cancel the ads when the Skip Ad button comes on. I bought a small fly reel for my 2 wt. rod. Cost a penny and $16 shipping from China.

IMG_5437.JPG

17 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Only watch a couple of YT videos and cancel the ads when the Skip Ad button comes on. I bought a small fly reel for my 2 wt. rod. Cost a penny and $16 shipping from China.

IMG_5437.JPG

Skeet that's the deal of the day right there!

It's a great reel and guaranteed to catch fish!  Of course, it doesn't guarantee the size!

Only negative- it's a right hand retrieve and has a built-in anti-reverse. So I reversed it on the rod. Might get ambitious and see if I can disable the anti-reverse. FYI, it is marked- BF600 Fly Reel. It was on eBay.

IMG_6976.JPG

1 hour ago, skeet3t said:

It's a great reel and guaranteed to catch fish!  Of course, it doesn't guarantee the size!

Only negative- it's a right hand retrieve and has a built-in anti-reverse. So I reversed it on the rod. Might get ambitious and see if I can disable the anti-reverse. FYI, it is marked- BF600 Fly Reel. It was on eBay.

IMG_6976.JPG

Still you can't beat the price.  Stream fishing is my favorite, that's a really nice wild Bow on small water and they're great fun on light tackle!