Jump to content
Fly Tying
TIER

Cabin build

Recommended Posts

I decided to build a cabin 4 days ago. This is the product of the 4th day. yes, it needs chinking. I am very aware of that.1814534765_Screenshot2020-12-28105742.thumb.png.240ca8adcd960adae2bb2a0a12c9e0c3.png

I will try to post as many updates as possible. Here is the product of today (Day 5). I spent most of the day getting more wood because I ran out, but I did manage to put a whopping 2 logs on my cabin.

1164661824_Screenshot2020-12-28212010.thumb.png.677efc0f1cd606bf686fc9ffc1cdd243.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look like fun!  I'm glad I'm not paying you by the hour (I often say that about my own work). It's hard to tell the dimensions from the photo.  I don't know if it will be relevant, but remember that "green wood shrinks". I trust  that you have a chainsaw.

Bill

P.S. Remember that the pyramids were built by people with decreasing goals!  : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh crap i didn't say the dimensions! About 6.5 by 7.5 feet. I want the cabin to be easily warmed up, so the dimensions are purposely tiny. The door will also be small.

@Bill_729 if anyone paid me to build a cabin I would go to our local public logging area and pick the biggest, straigtest logs possible. But this is my first time, so I would refuse any payments until about my 5th cabin, since I am not very good at it. 

I am running out of logs so I have a question for @Mark Knapp . Do you know if the wood on the side of the Richardson highway is up for grabs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TIER said:

Oh crap i didn't say the dimensions! About 6.5 by 7.5 feet. I want the cabin to be easily warmed up, so the dimensions are purposely tiny. The door will also be small.

@Bill_729 if anyone paid me to build a cabin I would go to our local public logging area and pick the biggest, straigtest logs possible. But this is my first time, so I would refuse any payments until about my 5th cabin, since I am not very good at it. 

I am running out of logs so I have a question for @Mark Knapp . Do you know if the wood on the side of the Richardson highway is up for grabs?

No I don't, I would call the DOT (Department of Transportation.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably would've been best to dig the snow out of the cabin area, I haven't tried it myself but I imagine it makes a terrible foundation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 4:36 PM, vicente said:

Probably would've been best to dig the snow out of the cabin area, I haven't tried it myself but I imagine it makes a terrible foundation.

I actually dug out an area all the way to the ground where the logs go. I don't have a snow shovel, but hopefully if my friend comes to help me tomorrow he can bring a shovel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

okay, so I am doing an update video for my cabin build every week, so here it is:

BUILDING a LOG CABIN with NO POWER TOOLS! (week 1) - YouTube

Should i do more time lapse? How about some cool edits? Please let me know. And, if you have any tips please let me know. Please make sure to like the video and subscribe to my channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

That's cool hope it turns out well for you. Building something with your own two hands is one of the best feelings of accomplishment a person can do.

Indeed. I agree with you 100%. This cabin, even though it is small, will be awesome when it's done. I am going to install some 12 or 24 volt batteries to power a heater and a light, and I will have a bed, table, counter, and maybe a cupboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TIER said:

I will have a bed, table, counter, and maybe a cupboard.

You better start planning an addition!

Kidding aside, nice job, TIER.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...