Fly Tying
TIER

Cabin build

That place kind of reminds me of my old minnow shop up north. When I bought the guy heated it with a big wood stove and went through a lot of wood. Like he said, "You can through through any wall and he won't be hurt".  I did some patching and wood use went way down. I sold a lot of firewood and home heating wood but didn't need to burn a cord a week when it got below zero. When I'd have to bust skim ice off the minnow tanks before sales started I knew I had to do some work on it.

I think you're doing great and never was that ambitious at 14 though we did some unsafe tree houses back then.

5 hours ago, mikechell said:

How many hours of daylight are you getting right now?  7:19 sunrise ... 5:44 sunset here.

Keep chopping away at it ... you'll get 'er done soon!

we get dark aroud 4:00

On 1/9/2021 at 3:33 AM, Bill_729 said:

Man, you need some friends, to help!  : )

Keep up the good work!

He's a lone wolf. 😁

On 1/4/2021 at 5:33 PM, Poopdeck said:

What kind of predator is able to identify trappers from non trappers? I'm pretty sure history is filled with trappers who met their demise at the hand of a predator. 

I'm pretty sure he means it's because fur and game tends to get warier when humans are pursuing them. Bears in areas where they aren't hunted are less afraid of humans and more dangerous than bears in areas were they are actively pursued. They have learned to have a healthy respect for humans where they are hunted.

Guide to a young couple that wants to wander the wilderness on their own:  "Be sure to carry pepper spray and wear bells, in case you wander into bear territory."

Young couple:  "How will we know if we're in bear territory?"

Guide: "You look for signs.  Bear scat is pretty easy to spot."

Young couple:  "How do you recognize bear crap?"

"Easy.  It'll smell like pepper spray and have bells in it."

37 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Guide to a young couple that wants to wander the wilderness on their own:  "Be sure to carry pepper spray and wear bells, in case you wander into bear territory."

There aren't many bears here.

8 hours ago, mikechell said:

wear bells

Dinner bells, I think, was the term when I lived up in Alaska.  

16 hours ago, mikechell said:

A classic oldie but goody. We have lots of bears up here, James just hasn't seen any of them yet. Right now they are all asleep so he doesn't have to worry, not for three more months or so.

12g with first round being buck shot and rest backed by slugs, plus a .44 side arm would be my choice. Dem dar'bears up yonder be big'uns! Might just piss him off with that .40 Glock 😁

11 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

12g with first round being buck shot and rest backed by slugs, plus a .44 side arm would be my choice. Dem dar'bears up yonder be big'uns! Might just piss him off with that .40 Glock 😁

my dad has one. He says that's why it can hold a 8 round mag

.40 might be OK for black bears, maybe. A grizzly is a whole other thing. I'd go with what SD said for black bears but for grizzly country, I'd go with a large caliber rifle. Where James lives (and fishes) there are mostly black bears but there is an occasional grizzly. What he needs is a dog to go with him.

We have had black bears and once in a while a grizzly eating dog food out of bowls in peoples yards. It's even worse near Anchorage. Someone gets eaten every other year around there.

Like I said, he's fine for now.