Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pete Engel

Fly tying vises for a beginner

I am a beginner to fly tying.  I am interested in getting a good vise for under $150.  I was looking at a Renzetti Apprentice with a pedestal base and also a Wolff Apex with a pedestal base.  Does anybody have experience with either of these vises?  I need a pedestal base that is sturdy.  If there is a better vise in this price range let me know. 

I have an Apex pedestal.  Its a nice vise, sturdy as far as stationary goes.  80% or more of my tying is size 8 and smaller.  Some things I don't like:

- I think the jaws should grip better. 

- Rotation, which I mainly use for viewing all sides of the fly, could be smoother in my opinion

- I usually do not tighten the thumbscrew on the jaws, so I can rotate the fly as I'm tying, and that thumbscrew will sometimes work itself out far enough to let the jaws slide in the housing, that's super annoying. 

That said, I enjoy tying on it, but I wouldn't buy it again.  I would probably go with a Peak.  

I am partial to the Regal Medallion with traditional jaws, which will set you back $175 online. I like a C-clamp because I can really crank down if I am doing deer hair.

Lots of good choices, though. You need to pin down what features are most important to you in terms of pedestal, jaws, rotary, etc...

For me, but not for many others, the Regal is the best compromise.

I own the peak rotary vise now. I searched through a lot of cheaper vises and never truly found one I liked. Then as a birthday present a couple years ago my wife bought the peak for me. Hands down worth the little extra she paid for it. The for christmas she bought me the rest of the accessories for it, the d-arm, the waste basket, and the material clip. She even bought the midge jaws for it so I can work on smaller flies. 

20200621_145404.jpg

Pete,

vise choices are a often debated subject and for many reasons it is hard to say what one is the best for everyone, at any price point. If you are close to a fly shop I strongly suggest you go look at their inventory, variables not mentioned for people are the size of their hands, left or right handed, type of flies you are primarily going to tie (salt or fresh water, big flies or small midges)  if the vise is comfortable to work around and you have room see and apply material, parts & accessories available after you purchase (saltwater or midge jaws, bases or whatever to grow into your needs) some people do not like rotary but you can tie stationary on a rotary, never the other way around.  

Try to find a vise with a solid reputation, learn to adjust the jaws for the hook-  this is the primary cause of jaw and vise failure 

I use the Traveller as my vise for my portable tying kit. 

The Renzetti Traveler is an option but it is about 15% more expensive than the Peak which is already a bit above his budget. it is up to Pete to decide how far his budget can be stretched.

Another vote is for the Griffin Odyssey Spider cam. Its vise is a great choice for the price.  You can also look at eBay for a used one. Just watch out for the cheap knock offs.