Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DarrellP

Stillwater Fly fishing

I have moved into an area that is rich in fishing opportunities.  I think that one really overlooked area of fly fishing is stillwater fishing.  I live near a lake that seems to consistently produce large Trout, along with bass and other warm water species.  It offers easy access.  As I am not quite as good at wading as I used to be (balance), I am probably going to focus on float tube fishing a good bit.

I would appreciate anyone letting me know what patterns have worked for them in Stillwaters.  I have read Rickard's boo;ks, Phil Rowley's book, watched Brian Chan and Phil Rowley on you tube.  

I have also read Lockhart's book.  While I appreciate the presentation vs fly argument, it seems that lakewater fishing is really about depth and distance from shore, along with structure.  This is exactly what we had to focus on with Bass Fishing when I lived in the South.  I will be Bass fishing some in this lake as well.

The flies I have had luck with in the past are Woooly Buggers in various colors, Rickard's AP nymph, Carey Specials, and PT nymphs.  Please let me know your thoughts on pattern selection.  I am trying to limit this to one large box for the lake.

Thin Mint about size 10, Poundmeister in the same size. Both with beads for weight. I only fish stillwater where we live and have the best success with these two flies. Also chironomids in size 16 to 20 under an indicator work real good. I do not fish any flies on the surface so I couldn't tell you what might work for this. Remember in cold months slow is the secret, and when it is warmer move the fly more.

Might consider a decent kayak instead of the float tube. Much more stable and safer, IMHO. Had a float tube and gave it to a charity. Wife wasn't confident in it.

BTW, kayak fishing is growing by leaps and bounds. A fellow recently won a kayak bass fishing tournament in Chattanooga and went to the bank with $30K in his pocket.

https://newschannel9.com/sports/outdoors/iowa-angler-claims-bass-nation-kayak-series-victory-at-chickamauga-lake

My Panfish Attractors have worked in every body of water I've fished, so far.  I must admit, though, that I have not been near any trout.

Aug 2017 Panfish Attractors (1).JPG

As Florida is all about bass fishing ... the above flies have worked well for everything.  Largest bass on one was a 6 pounder.

Foam Spider recipe.jpg

Again, lots of fish on foam spiders/beetles.  Everything from sunfish to bass.

Aug 2017 flip flop poppers (2).JPG

And if you need to make a lot of noise, a flip flop foam popper will bring 'em in from yards away.

I would say that the above flies, in order, account for 75%, 15% and 5% of my fishing.  The other 5% is with experimental patterns.

Oh, and I only use a floating line.  When fishing the Panfish Attractor, the floating line is my strike indicator ... since there's no current, there's no need for a bobber.

I pretty much use the exact same things in moving water as still water. Only difference is I provide the fly action in still water. Any Poppers, baitfish and nymphs of your choice will work just fine. Being simple minded helps cut through all the wonder for me. 

Darrell,

The flies you've listed are a good start.

I often fish a Bugger with a Callibaetis nymph trailing a couple feet behind along the edges of weed beds to locate fish.

Callibaetis is by far the most common stillwater Mayfly. Several generations hatch through the season. They may start out as size 12 in the spring and get progressively smaller down to 16 or 18 by fall. A size 14 will work most of the time. Nymph, emerger, dun and spinner patterns all work at times. You can keep it simple with a Hare's Ear and Adams or Gulper Specials or tie up something more elaborate.

Callibaetis Nymph

spacer.png

Volcanic Callibaetis

spacer.png

Damselfly Nymphs are productive especially during hatch time. Occasionally a dry adult Damselfly pattern can be a lot of fun.

Purple Veil Damsel

spacer.png

Cope's Damsel

spacer.png

Don't overlook chironomid patterns under a slip-strike type indicator. Most people seem to coating chironomid patterns with UV resin now days, but I've had good luck without. The Chromie, Ice Cream Cone and the good old TDC have been good to me.

Scuds, when present, are an important food source.

A few of my go to patterns for Stillwater’s. 
Top to bottom, left to right
1 Ellas Beast Jig
2 Midnight Fire Bal. Bugger
3 Lancer Damsel
4 Soft Hackle Pheasant Tail
5 Jig Damsel Ellas Beast
6 Zucchini Midge
7 Callidrangus Nymph
8 Simple Callibaetis
9 Booby Flies

IMG_0699.jpeg

Damsel Fly nymph is a great choice - one of the few insects that actually swims toward shore to hatch (so a fisherman on shore stripping a fly toward himself is proper).  There are many terrific Damsel patterns, but if you have the time and patience, this one is outstanding (you can adjust the weight for depth and retrieve speed).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UfrZlfV25s 

Chironomid (Midges) - larva down deep, pupa mid-depth and surface, adults on top.  The tricky part here is species and size.  Brian Chan is a great source that you already found, but he lives in British Columbia where they have massively sized chironomids in many colors.  In Colorado where I live they are usually much smaller.  It sounds like you have an unusual warm water fishery with trout available - interesting!  (If) you have Callibaetis Mayflies, they can be awesome hatches.   

Buggers and Leeches are always a good bet . . . again, size is relative to your particular environment.  

Lastly, our European, British, and especially Scottish friends have some great still-water patterns, and some innovative tying styles and techniques. (closed captioning helps with their rich accents).  Lindsay Simpson and Davie McPhail and are among my favorites.  Their patterns seem to work well for me, perhaps because they are flies that are not the "same old thing" my fish see all the time.  

Regards,  

I mostly fish still water lakes.  The ones I fish are pretty weedy, lots of lily pads.  The only place I've fished for trout in lakes is Vermont.  I mainly used CDC and Elk, targeting rising fish.  Subsurface for bass, leech patterns, buggers, bait fish patterns,  dragonfly and damsel fly nymphs, crayfish patterns.  Top water,  poppers, sliders and booby flies.  might want to consider frog patterns.   As already mentioned look for structure,  brush, downed trees.  Don't ignore the shore line.  Cast your fly toward the shore and retrieve.  Docks and boat ramps are other targets.