Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

My fly tying room-revisited

8 minutes ago, DarrellP said:

Thanks for posting so that I could show my wife that I don't really have that much stuff! 

I showed it to mine with the same idea. Unfortunately, her comment was, "What is this with you guys, preparing for the fishing apocalypse? You have to vow to me now that you're never buying another hook."

(My name is Steve and I'm powerless over feathers, fur, hair, and... yes, hooks.)

14 hours ago, Christian.s said:

I share a room right now and am about to get a new desk and some better storage for materials. Looking at a large L shaped desk right now I have to separate benches I made up together in an L shape but they are different hights. Might post a picture tomorrow.

Have a question though do you use any type of bug deterrent like cedar or moth balls/crystals in your bins for your natural hair/fur?

The only thing that works for me is moth balls. I must have a strain of super bugs up here (the grub turns into a moth) they are very tough. Cedar and other things don't work. Yes, all the drawers with naturals in them have a copious amount of moth balls in them. It has to be replenished from time to time.

13 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Nice Mark ☺️ Really cool drawers. Are those some sort of drafting/blueprint type draw/cabinets or ?

I will snap some pics tomorrow. Been awhile since I shared mine, has changed some over the past year now.

Those are drawers from our local Radio Shack from when they went out of business. Now we don't have a Radio Shack but I do have the drawers. I love to see yours, and the rod building area.

5 hours ago, DFoster said:

Looks great Mark!  Did you find anything cool (materials/tools) during the cleaning?  I spent a week cleaning our basement in preparation of our new boiler install and found all sorts of stuff.  Some of which was missing or forgotten about tools so it was great to find I still had them.  At the same time I was able to toss a lot of useless stuff in the trash or burn pile. 

A little of that, but I'm in there all every day so I never get a chance to forget about anything even if it's messy.

5 hours ago, niveker said:

Nice Mark.  Though, will all that material, I think I could get lost in there for a day or two, in spite of all your cleaning, LOL.  

Yes, it's my escape room. My wife never has to wonder where I am. Whenever a friend comes over to visit they just go to the fly room.

4 hours ago, mikemac1 said:

Nicely done Mark, although my only critique would be your failure to maximize use of the available floor space as my space does on a daily basis😜

As of: 0830 MDT, January 4, 2021 - Configurations change daily

Nice, organized chaos.

3 hours ago, dave said:

Very impressive Mark.  Is that a GE Super Radio on the top of the desk?  Great old radios.  Hard to find anymore.

Yes it is, good eye. That's my old trap line radio.

I remember the first set of pics. What a turn around. Any chance it doesn't get like it was?  Here's my corner of the basement. I like to refer to it as my world HQ. it's part bullet making, lure making, fly tying and recording studio.

basement1.jpg

This is the last iteration. Half the tall boy to the left is for storage of materials, but I had to corner the desk to make room for it.

Still dreaming up the perfect portable desk to take downstairs or outside.

433BE54E-82F0-4312-8C22-0735006B80F9.thumb.jpeg.c079e020b5ea0c1ba3bc4fbfa99d9781.jpeg

13 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I remember the first set of pics. What a turn around. Any chance it doesn't get like it was?  Here's my corner of the basement. I like to refer to it as my world HQ. it's part bullet making, lure making, fly tying and recording studio.

basement1.jpg

That look like a great place to spend a few hours- I love the rods on the ceiling!

My safe space, and memories room, love to tie, I'm not very good at it even though I've been at it for nearly 55 years! My flies catch fish, so I guess that's all that matters.

Mike.

20210106_112116.jpg

9 hours ago, partsman said:

My safe space, and memories room, love to tie, I'm not very good at it even though I've been at it for nearly 55 years! My flies catch fish, so I guess that's all that matters.

Mike.

20210106_112116.jpg

Nice room Mike!

On 1/5/2021 at 2:00 PM, Val Schmaus said:

Is that a Black Widow in the corner?What are the specs.

Yes it is, good eye. 57#@28