Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

My fly tying room-revisited

Here's some fairly recent upgrades to my area.  Changes include a taller vise stem, profile plate and bobbing cradle for the HMH.  I also built a new square vise riser.  I like having the open desk area to the right of the vise.  In the corner is the new rod rack a built last week.

IMG_7761.thumb.JPG.b73c09216f16d110edde597d43779fe5.JPG

IMG_7763.thumb.JPG.c7f69e7249c353abb0033a1972699726.JPG

IMG_7767.thumb.JPG.cdb5939a7f728632c022c2763fc32a68.JPG

very nice D, the desk is beautiful!  Keep the pictures coming. Please forgive my errors, I’m now trying to use a new IPad. It’s pretty cool, but its all new to me.

Mike.

16 hours ago, Bimini15 said:

@DFoster, very nice nook.

Would you mind to share pics of the rod rack?

Thanks Bimini- there is a thread about my rod rack project under the forum's fly fishing tab. Here's the link.

@partsman  @Mark Knapp

Thanks guys, it's still evolving but getting there.  Next up will be material storage.  I've been looking for an inexpensive flat file type cabinet to replace the trunk under the window which houses my materials, furs and feathers.  Because my tying area is in my wife's home office anything I add has to look good.  So plastic craft storage containers are not an option.  A small flat file cabinet would be ideal but I can't justify the cost of a new one. ($500- $4,000).  I'm looking for something beat up that I can refurbish but all the local flea markets are cancelled due to covid and they are proving tough to find through the usual local sources.  I came close a few months ago when my wife's company purchased a commercial property and the previous owners left a beautiful cabinet which they couldn't use.  They agreed to give to me free of charge.   It looked perfect in the photos but turned out to me huge! 5' tall 6'wide and 5' deep.  Way to big for the room not to mention it seemed to weigh as much as a Volkswagen.  Oh well the hunt continues, eventually something will turn up. 

11 minutes ago, waybar said:

How do you like that HMH vise, and how does it do on small flies?

I absolutely love my vise.  I tie flies from #22 up to #2 and it holds all of them with no issues.  The quality is such that I can't imagine any part of it wearing out. Everything on the vise is either, stainless, brass or investment cast tool steel. The only non metal I can find is the internal rotary drag disc and a small bushing under the knob that adjust the jaws.  I've tied hundreds of flies and you would never know it.  The jaws look exactly like the day I got it.  No dings or pits.

That said it would seem not all TRV's are the same.  It may be that HMH had some quality control issues, I don't know.   The first generation of TRV's definitely had some bugs that according to the owner of the company have since been fixed.  I did use one at the fly fishing show that would not hold a #14 trout hook no matter how tight I turned the screw.  I also read a guy on another forum that said he had one that would hold large hooks fine but not small trout sizes, he returned it and the next one he got would hold the trout sizes fine but didn't do well with the larger hooks.  My vise particular vise holds small and large securely.   There are several forum members here that have them and I haven't read any post about their vises not holding hooks. 

5 hours ago, DFoster said:

Thanks Bimini- there is a thread about my rod rack project under the forum's fly fishing tab. Here's the link.

Apologies. I saw that and I did not put two and two together.

Just moved house. Again.  I do remember when all my tying equipment and materials fit into an 18x18x18 cardboard box, and all my possessions including tackle, a 12ga shotgun, a 22 rifle, and my mountain bike fit under the tonneau cover of my pickup truck.  30 some years and 14 moves later, I'm hoping to settle for a while.  I'm unpacking stuff and trying to set up "my" room,  fly tying, workbench for stuff,  computer desk,  work comp for teleworking during covid which sucks horribly,  etc etc.  I'm amazed at how much tackle I have,  and surprised at how much fly tying materials--  and wonder how it is possible that there is always something I seem to need that I don't have....