Fly Tying
DFoster

Rod Rack Project

A few years ago my wife and I did a complete restoration on a pop up camper.  In that process we purchased a complete set of plywood kitchen cabinets for cheap $$ on close out to replace the original and very beat up particle board/laminate cabinets.  At the end of that project I had one cabinet shell without the doors left over.  I used its doors to make storage access under the camper bench seats.  Anyway during a recent basement cleaning I found that extra cabinet along with some leftover plywood and decided to make a simple rod rack out of it.

Here are some photos start to finish.  My wife is really good at painting with a brush and did the paint for me.  The whole thing was done with left over scraps and trim from other projects so it didn't cost me any cash out of pocket.  I cut 11 holes for my current and future fly rods and the solid space in front of the tubes will hold my reels.  The extra space inside can hold fly boxes.  It's still drying so I will need to add a photo of it positioned in its new home in a few days.  I'm not a cabinet maker so starting with the basic shell was a big help.  I'm pretty happy with the results.

Here is the shell-

IMG_7682.thumb.JPG.d3a6a946d8db3eae4e912cc447489d09.JPG

Plywood top and bottoms cut to fit and marked for the drill-

IMG_7684.thumb.JPG.7f599c116fbd6de4d407f3611353af43.JPG

Top and bottom in place with pilot holes-

IMG_7686.thumb.JPG.5636afcb2fc3e45ee1b43c79f8898389.JPG

IMG_7689.thumb.JPG.4c4e2cc57f910b1dc82173d30f513eda.JPG

Fitting the trim and the feet-IMG_7691.thumb.JPG.a2664025709f0f657279329900b37c6f.JPG

Trim and legs screwed in place, waiting for the wood glue and primer to dry-

IMG_7701.thumb.JPG.44092acbe05d14003cd5124f3e1e7803.JPG

First coat of paint-

IMG_7702.thumb.JPG.9223bf3df980ee340ae1f4da734f9d27.JPG

The completed piece-

IMG_7719.thumb.JPG.e83511df2ea85250490d26d6297b2837.JPG

Looks like you have to add the reel each time you go fishing. Good use of the extra cabinetry.

Very nice, good DFoster. 

I have an older valet chair in the corner of my work area that I intent to do the same with, and have a place to hang my vest.  One of these days.

18 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

+1, very... but where do you put the twelfth rod?

Well Chug at the moment I currently only have 5 rods, 2 bamboo, 2 good quality graphite and an inexpensive glass from Cabela's.  The good news is there is space available for future acquisitions! 

14 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

What he said^^^^

Now where's mine? 😃

Oh come on now Silver a guy who's been fly fishing for as many years as yourself must already have a rod rack, I guessing maybe 3 of them!

13 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Great upcycle. Nice shop organization as well.

Thank you sir, you probably know I'm a fan of organization. One of the first things I did when I moved here was peg board the basement work shop.  I've never regretted it, I get frustrated hunting for things I know I have.

Very nice job on the rack.  Trust me-you will eventually fill it!  Neat looking shop area too.  I see you are also into (like me) collecting wooden cigar boxes.  They are great for storing things and the cedar ones are excellent for fly tying materials as they are naturally insect repellant.  One can often pick them up cheap at cigar stores.