Fly Tying
terp

Dying Natural Hungarian Partridge Brown

I have an extra natural Hungarian Partridge skin, and need a brown one.  Finding one online is difficult, plus I'm thinking it may be cheaper just to dye my second one. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

Flytire, Hi, any advice on how to do this?  I was thinking of experimenting on some loose feathers that I don't use. 

Thanks.

I use Fly Dye from Lure parts https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Anglers-Fly-Dyes?page=1

If you can boil water and pour it in a raised letter canning jar (trust me), and then put some vinegar to set the color you can dye.   A little of this dye goes a LONG ways!!

I use Jacquard dyes for my feathers and fur with amazing results! The small jars are only 3 or 4 bucks at Dharma Trading.

2 cups of water

1/4 tsp of dye

1/4 tsp sea salt

1 Tbsp of vinegar

Use a little water of in a pot ( about a half an inch) and add your dye and salt. Bring it to a quick boil and stir well to desolve them both. Now add the rest of the water and knock the temp down to a lower setting (1 or 2). Add your materials at this point. Stir well once every minute for 20 minutes. When you're happy with the color, add the vinegar to set it and stir well for about 30 seconds or so. At this point, rinse and dry. Use gloves- you'll thank yourself.

I like the Rit dye as that is the only method I have used. It worked just fine for me without any trouble. And yes on the gloves -- a lot of old newspaper and paper towels are invaluable too.

Good luck