Fly Tying
DFoster

Craft Store Materials and Tips-

I thought I'd post this-  There's some good information about what's available at craft stores.

1 hour ago, jamieofthenorth said:

Handy video, thanks for posting!

You're welcome. I know most of us already get stuff from craft stores but there were a few things he mentioned that I hadn't thought of.  I'm also glad he said to support the local fly shops as well.  For me it's not always about saving a buck.  I'm lucky to have a fly shop within an 45 minute drive and I don't mind spending more to help them stay open.  The craft stores often offer materials or colors not available at the fly shop.

Michael's closed last year but have Hobby Lobby close. Wife has a 40% discount app. I do have a great fly shop about 6 miles. They have a good selection of tying components.

I do buy material at Craft Stores.  I have beads that I brought years ago.  I've never been impressed by the various feathers.  I have some goose quills.  My peacock feathers are getting a bit old, but last time I looked they want $6 for a full peacock feather at Michaels.  I definitely by my foam there.  I've found from 1 mm to 6 mm in various colors.  One thing I disagree with is not using sticky back foam.  If you can find Art Deco foil, Hobby Lobby did carry it.  It's a transfer foil that you apply to a tacky surface, not an iron on or heat applied foil.  You can make your own "loco foam" with it.  Mother of Pearl is the useful.  If your UV resin dries tacky you can apply it to the popper to add sparkle.

Thread is another thing he didn't mention.  If you use clear mono for your tying and are buy a small spool from your local fly shop for a couple of bucks.  You can pick up a 400 yard spool for around a $1.99

post-309-0-28898500-1459549485.thumb.jpg.9b53ef31799f4423c00c18a70f847b3a.jpg\

It also comes in a clear black/grey, and you can get similar size spools of metallic thread.  I have gold, silver and copper.  I also buy my tying scissors in craft stores.

You can get a decent pair for between  $7 and $10.

Not gonna break these out unless wanted but most have been on here somewhere before.  Michaels, HobbyLobby, Wlmrt, PartyStore, toy sections...Nearest fly shops 2 hrs away....

FA2A96D4-0515-400E-ABE7-C2AAB7A78AC3.png

747B7FCA-64C0-48F8-8B6A-FCE751DD4F19.png

Hobby Lobby. Amazing amount of floss colors. All multi stand so you gotta separate. I have high hopes for the metallic stuff.hobby.jpg.a68b04a005cd18072b1eedfec42a616a.jpg

I have been enticed by some of the hobby wires available.  Try a few before you get carried away at the check out.  Depending on what you tie, most brands are just too large and brittle to be useful. 

Copper strands from a lamp cord or extension cord work for weight and for over-wrapping a fly.

40 minutes ago, flytire said:

i too have found hobby wire too large for fly tying

X3.  I'v also found they don't wrap as well as fly tying wire.

and dont forget satin material.   walmart has a good selection. also look for their end lots of fabric bolts  for even more discounts.   kids super hero capes are good too

7 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Copper strands from a lamp cord or extension cord work for weight and for over-wrapping a fly.

Absolutely,and copper is much softer.I just cut the cord off a lamp we were tossing and it had very fine strands.Hobby lobby had some very fine vinyl  that is a good ribbing material in many colors.

Always check out the cord on the appliance being thrown away.  Most are made up of many fine strands of wire.  I have found great copper for bodies and ribbing.  Sometimes it is a silver wire.  Bonus!  I cut them in 10"  lengths and strip all but 1" of the plastic coating.  Store your hank in a plastic straw.  Cut off a strand at a time, leaving the 1" of coating to keep it neat and easy to throw back in the straw.