Fly Tying
DFoster

Craft Store Materials and Tips-

Love magnet and motor wire for flies,  electric motor repair shop by me sells enameled wire and bare.   Craigslist often has it too.  Have to keep your eyes open.  

As a former rod builder, microwaves at the curb were a source of slow turning motors for curing epoxy. Cords for tossed appliances is a great source...and free.

BTW, people toss MWOs when all that is needed is a fuse.

1 hour ago, DarrellP said:

Doesn't the wire from cords discolor over time?

Never noticed it and, for me, it's not an issue. If it's for weight, one will never see it unless Moby Trout or Basszilla chews the dubbing off the hook.

5 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Doesn't the wire from cords discolor over time?

Maybe, but mine have never lasted long enough for it to be an issue.  

Found this stuff for $2.49 a bag (guessing roughly an ounce of material) at my craft store called "tinsel trim".  It's clearly some older inventory and not sure if it's even made anymore.  I picked up what was left that was in the "sale bin" thinking it might work it might not and was worth a shot for $2.50.  Upon further inspection it ends up being almost identical stuff to ripple ice fiber.  Now I wish they had more bags and other colors, lol.

Ripple Ice Fiber seems to be blended with some sort of yarn or fur type of material but this crinkled trim flash material seems to be what's also blended into it.  The Ripple Ice Fiber might also be just a shy thinner in width but it's pretty darn close.  This stuff was in the basket of other holiday decorations.  I am going back next year to see if I can find a few more colors if they carry it again.  I assume these fibers would also work for salt patterns.  The material is medium stiffness, maybe on the medium light limp scale.  It definitely "flows" but not as limp as flashabou material is - a bit more rigid than that.  If you have some Ripple Ice fiber, the tinsel found in that stuff is about the same, as mentioned.  I'm going to try to blend this up eventually to see how it turns out.  I haven't measured the length of the fibers quite yet.

Also, Angel Hair can be found at craft stores in the felting sections.  I found a pretty large sized bag in just a basic pearl/opal for about $6 which is probably just a touch more than I would have gotten with Larva Lace at the same price, so not much of a gain there.  I think I'll just end up finding more on Ebay/Etsy under Angelina Fiber.  Just thought I'd mention it as there are probably other sources/makers that might be worth it or have more selections.

20210128_120525.jpg

20210128_120503.jpg

20210128_120421.jpg

20210128_120405.jpg