Fly Tying
strutnstuff

Christmas ornaments

Just curious has anyone tried making a Christmas ornament fly? Thought about doing one for the kids this year. Possibly putting one in a clear bulb to hang on tree if I can get it inside. Any ideas or pictures of some would be helpful. Thanks

You only got 11.5 months to go.   You can get plastic or glass balls at craft stores and hang a fly in it.  Simple. Have seen some jazzier ones with moss, sticks, rocks then fly glued to that.  Kinda like putting a ship in a bottle with tweezers.  

D9815D68-1111-4BF2-8619-F1B9FBAB3D01.png

207BC3A6-8CDE-4EB3-912D-8A752E81A433.png

I received a number of similar ornaments (fly in clear bulb) from my grandfathers as a child, but also received one (still have) that was a hollow glass fish ornament just large enough to fit a small bucktail pattern (believe it originally had a mickey finn) inside.  I've thought of doing something similar for my nephews, but have yet to attempt it.

Another example... fly tied by my grandfather-in-law, several decades ago. I make sure it's the first ornament to go on the tree every year. 🙂20201212_184318.thumb.jpg.f23451aabfbae2926c859d149ae820e3.jpg

Those clear ornaments are available at Hobby Lobby. Wife made some for Christmas gifts for our woodturning club. Filled with sawdust and a decal- Sawdust is man glitter. Like it idea of the fly.