Fly Tying
Bimini15

Vacuums, brushes, sticky rollers, baskets, fans...?

14 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Must just be me but i don't find the process of tying a fly that messy.

I have to agree with Poopdeck.  I tie mostly trout and salmon flies.  Some deer type hair included.  Vise is clamped to edge of my desk.  I have a 10"x6" brown paper bag with the top rolled back on the floor beside me.  Do my dubbing mixing and feather prep over the desk.  Sweep waste with one hand into the other and drop towards the paper bag.  Most stuff cut away from the vise is already held in one hand.  Drop it towards the bag.  Brush anything off your pants before you get up and sweep the floor occasionally.   The thought of a vacuum or dust buster moving volumes of air around that desk scares me! 

On 1/18/2021 at 4:03 PM, Poopdeck said:

Must just be me but i don't find the process of tying a fly that messy.

Depends on what you tie, but for me it’s more about material work and prep that makes the messes.  Cutting, combing out short fluff, and brush blending techniques often call for a vacuum cleaner conclusion.  Making longer wire brushes on boards also tends to get a bit of scatter, especially on the wind-up.  Woolhead clipping on larger flies has it’s place in the rankings as well, it’s the final fine-snipping that produces the drift prone shorties.

I think many synthetics are worse for mess and wander relative naturals (with marabou "pinch trimming" being a possible exception, of course☺️).

Tools of the trade below for making the place look like a disheveled nest in short order…

brushblending.jpg.a8e9c2e766557ce9e69e745c4e880cea.jpg

fiberlong.jpg.abaf2292f62fa2622666e72c60aec527.jpg

On 1/18/2021 at 7:02 PM, Moshup said:

@DFoster Handsome vise setup !

Thank you Moshup.  I've posted before that my tying area occupies a corner of my wife's sunlit and warm office.  It is mandatory that everything looks nice, be kept clean and all hooks must be accounted for.  Failure to do so and I will result in banishment to my unheated and windowless basement workshop 🤪. 10 years now and I haven't lost a hook, although there was a tungsten bead that has eluded capture- Magnets, can't live without them!

On 1/19/2021 at 7:16 AM, WJG said:

The thought of a vacuum or dust buster moving volumes of air around that desk scares me! 

I do have to think about which way the exhaust is facing be fore turning it on or very bad things can happen- 😮

21 minutes ago, WJG said:

Have you ever had a sneeze sneak up on you at the desk?  That's a mess! :)

No, but the mess sneaks up on me ALL the time! :) 

Kim

The best way I've ever found to clean-up is to tie flies with all the junk that's left over!

On 1/17/2021 at 5:39 PM, mikechell said:

I cut a hole in the top of my bench.

tying desk (2).JPG

I made sliders for a plastic trash can, so once the bag is somewhat full, I can pull the whole can out to get to the trash bag.

When not in use ...  It's got a lid.

tying desk (3).JPG

A few years back someone posted a system with a similar but smaller hole in their bench. It was connected to a small shop-vac under the bench. When they were through for the day, they removed the cover, turned the vac on and swept everything toward the hole. Of course you would need to be careful not to get any tools etc. in there. 

Winter is high volume time supplying a few shops and private regular clients. I have used an old tin cookie box that is low and wide, easy to dump. Can just clip and drop. Magnets attach to the sides for easy  holding of flies, tweezers hang nicely on the side. There is also a fine tooth comb hot glued to the inside edge for easy cleaning of deer hair etc.

3fFBalq.jpg

about a hundred years ago,  I made a frame that attaches to my vise stem out of fairly heavy mild steel wire,  I put a small trash bag in it, hold it in place with four magnets, and job done.    Clippings and cut offs fall directly into the bag.   Only really messy operations such as trimming deer hair bugs get out of control.   Easy, clean, convenient.   I'll try to remember to take a pic tomorrow. 

On 1/18/2021 at 1:33 PM, Bimini15 said:

There has to be a way to put together your portable vacuum with Mike Chells desktop trash port.
I can imagine a sink drain, flush with the desk and connected to the hose under the desk... Hmmm...

I just found this lurking on youtube-

How about an empty Kleenex box.  Plastic flaps in pre-cut slit keeps all the waste in the box.  Cheap and when full, just throw the whole thing away and start another.

Thanks, Bob H

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

I just found this lurking on youtube-

Neat ... a scoop for your tying deck.  I imagine a Dust Buster type thing mounted below, wired with a remote switch, and the magnet acting as a sort of baffle.  Clever.