Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Semperfli Spyder 18/0 v. Veevus 16/0

I'm thinking to try a few spools of one or the other. Anyone who has used both have a strong preference, or are they pretty similar?

(not talking about nanosilk / GSP)

I can find the Veevus with free shipping but can't find the spyder with free shipping, so price-wise 6 of one literally is a half dozen of the other. 

Nobody has used both? Anyone with good or bad experience on either? 

Nope

i just stick with veevus 12/0 and I’m a happy tyer😁😁

no need for me to spend $$$ for semperfli materials 

6 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

I can find the Veevus with free shipping but can't find the spyder with free shipping, so price-wise 6 of one literally is a half dozen of the other. 

Nobody has used both? Anyone with good or bad experience on either? 

Sorry, no. But I love the Veevus 16/0 and tie with only two threads... the Veevus and Danville Flymaster 6/0. Best of luck.

Don

1 hour ago, chugbug27 said:

Thanks @Bacchus_2. Is the Veevus like a tiny version of the Danville?

No, they are nothing alike. Danville is flat, Veevus 16/0 isn't.

I have not tied with the 18/0 Semperfli. However I like their 12/0 waxed a lot.

@chugbug27, I use Veevus 16/0 a lot, like pretty much on anything size 22 or smaller. It's two strands twisted.  You can untwist it to get it to flatten, but it's nothing like Danville or UTC. So if your thinking split thread dubbing loops, forget it. On the other hand it doesn't have much bulk at all so a "normal" dubbing loop could work.  It's pretty strong for it's diameter. Deer hair wings? Sure. Spinning deer hair? No way.  Whatcha thinking of tying with it?

They are pretty similar, I think I give a slight edge to the Semperfli but I have just started using it. I like it better for all around tying than the Nano silk but it is not nearly as small.

Actually I think Uni Trico 17/0 might be my favorite thing out there. Plenty strong enough for most applications, only downside for me it that it only comes in white. Not really a big deal if you keep a few markers around. Still have some Gudebrod 10/0 which I use too. I really don't know why I have so much dadgum thread.......or I just don't use the Trico....Nano silk is good if you need the strength but I find it kind of annoying to use.

still using Veevus too.

Trying to compare fly tying threads by the "aught" system doesn't really work. Read this article:

http://www.swtu.org/pdfs/fly_tying/Threads.pdf

Here is a thread comparison chart comparing what the manufactures say the tread is and what the actual denier is. Denier is the actual mass of the thread.

47323672801_76532697c9_o.png

Veevus 12/0 and 14/0 are essentially identical in the the amount of material in the thread.

30923115177_f2577b40ec_o.png

Here is a hook with 60 wraps of thread. Why is Veevus 16/0 the same as Veevus 14/0 and why are do they not have significantly less bulk than Bennichi 12/0 thread. The point is that without standards, a thread maker can label his tread with whatever "aught" size they want.

35593321251_80ecd6afec_o.jpg

Here is a table of tying threads

https://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/fly-tying-thread-table

Thanks @Sandan and @billj60

3 hours ago, Sandan said:

Whatcha thinking

I've just got done organizing my threads, and I'd like to fill out the colors on my tiny fly threads.

For flies size 18 and smaller, I've found I really like using Benecchi 12/0. Instead of just buying more Benecchi colors, I was thinking to try Spyder 18/0 or Veevus 16/0, both of which I've heard good things about.

I want it to have a smaller profile than Benecchi 12/0 and yet (like Benecchi) be relatively strong, not be too flossy, grab materials well, and be relatively easy to split. In that order of importance.

1 minute ago, SilverCreek said:

Trying to compare fly tying threads by the "aught" system doesn't really work

Yup. My referring to Spyder 18/0 & Veevus 16/0 was just to be sure we're talking about the same thread.

4 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

Here is a hook with 60 wraps of thread. Why is Veevus 16/0 the same as Veevus 14/0 and why are do they not have significantly less bulk than Bennichi 12/0 thread. The point is that without standards, a thread maker can label his tread with whatever "aught" size they want.

35593321251_80ecd6afec_o.jpg

Ah, a picture is worth a thousand words. This is great. Looks like the Veevus 16/0 is not going to tie meaningfully smaller than Benecchi 12/0.

53 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Thanks @Sandan and @billj60

I've just got done organizing my threads, and I'd like to fill out the colors on my tiny fly threads.

For flies size 18 and smaller, I've found I really like using Benecchi 12/0. Instead of just buying more Benecchi colors, I was thinking to try Spyder 18/0 or Veevus 16/0, both of which I've heard good things about.

I want it to have a smaller profile than Benecchi 12/0 and yet (like Benecchi) be relatively strong, not be too flossy, grab materials well, and be relatively easy to split. In that order of importance.

Have you tried any Gordon Griffiths SHEER 14/0? That stuff fits your bill, IMHO, perfectly.  Your considering the Semperfli Spyder 18/0, unwaxed, should be pretty good too. In fact I'm thinking of picking up some of that myself.