Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Semperfli Spyder 18/0 v. Veevus 16/0

I'm a little late coming into this but I have developed a relationship with Veesus over the last few years. I use the 16/0 in different colors for several things, especially small flies of course. I've also used Spiderweb but I don't think it's much smaller than Veesus and much weaker. I have a mixed bag of other threads I use but over the last few years I've been gravitating to the Veesus line for almost everything. I think the average tier could go with Veesus 8/0 and 14/0 and cover almost everything he ties.

I purchased a few spools of Spyder 18/0 after Christmas and have to say I've been disappointed with the tensile strength and diameter compared to other 16/0 and 12/0 threads I've used in the past.  From a tensile strength perspective, it is the weakest thread I've tied with.  It seems to break on me almost every fly I tie.  This of course could be contributed to the thin diameter, but, laid down side-by-side with my 12/0 Orvis thread, there doesn't appear to be a notable difference.  I'll continue to use it until it is gone (all five spools I purchased), but can't imagine I'll purchase it again in the future.

Chris