Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hexfli

Need some advice...

Gearing up for the upcoming season I notice one of my fly lines ( a RIO Clouser 6 Weight floater) has a scuff mark, looks kinda like it was scoured against something sharp. You can see the core of the fly line and this mark is about 30 feet from the tip. Will this be detrimental to the lines performance or should I get a new line?

I don't think it will be a major problem. Get some U-V Knot-sense by Loon Products. Put a light coating on the scuff. This should be all the protection you need.

~James

I've tried fixing fly lines, even tried the loon stuff none worked for very long. I found that the loon knot sense didn't shoot through the guides very well, it isn't slick like the line is. You might as well start saving your pennies for a new line.

Unless money is a little tight for you right now, just go buy a new fly line and end this issue. THis is what I would do. This way you have a new line, forget about the nick and your thoughts are clear on one thing while on stream, FISHING, if not then your thinking will this damb line hold and pay less attention to the fishing aspect. When I go on stream my equipment is always good to go.

Andy B

Is it a double taper line? if so cut it off at the mark and attach that end to your backing. If it is not and the knot sense does not seem good to you . Guess what now you have a new level running line. Dont throw it away as it will still work regardless if the head of the line is gone. Harder to cast but it will get you through in a jam. I see sceintific anglers has a new line to leader connector that they say will not effect casting hold better than a knot and will go through the guides well . I cant remember what it is called, they come in different sizes. Ill look it up, the only problem I can see there is that one end is for your line the other for the leader might not work. You can also put a nail knot on each end of your fly line with a perfection loop to connect the parts togther. Cover the connection with heat shrink tubbing. just a few ideas to throw arround in your head

Sign in to follow this