Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Winner of the VERY controversial ECS...

"Russell Gallucci of Delmont was fishing with his son Michael, 16, on Elk Creek in Erie County at dusk on Easter Sunday when he landed a 19-pound, 5-ounce fresh-run steelhead in high, muddy water. The catch won him the $5,250 grand prize in the Elk Creek Sports Center March steelhead contest.

Had it weighed 15 ounces more, the egg-laden hen would have won Gallucci a new truck as well, for breaking the state record."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05094/482371.stm

While we're in PA,

"Fishing Notebook: Volunteers needed for Pine Creek cleanup

Monday, April 04, 2005

By Deborah Weisberg

A clean-up is scheduled for Pine Creek in Hampton Township from 9 a.m. until noon Saturday. The Allison Park Sportsmen's Club is coordinating the effort and welcomes all volunteers.

Last month's litter pickup produced 20 bags of garbage, plus tires and other debris from an especially trashed area below Wildwood Peddler's Fair. Volunteers will meet at 9 a.m. at the ball field across from St. Ursula Church off Duncan Avenue, where lunch will be served at noon.

For more information, call 412-486-2397. "

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05094/482370.stm

Aren't there slot limits in PA? Especially during the spawn, you would expect some level of protection for a big healthy hen full of roe. It just doesn't make sense to me that you would allow the thinning out of the gene pool like that. dunno.gif

wow Mark thats a HUGEsteelie! shocking.gif cool.gif

Paul... Elk creek & most of the steelie streams in PA are almost 100% supported by stocking because even though the streams are really beautifull over there, they do not lend themselves to reproduction very well.

Theres a number of reasons that have been suggested for the cause for this, ranging from the shoal bottom being poor for spawning to the super high number of anglers that fish the streams there. I'm usually a avid C&R guy myself but givin the situatuion I dont think leaving that fish in the Elk would have any effect at all on the future class of steelhead due to the almost non existant reproduction rate.

Sure, if you yank every spawning hen out of the water the reporduction rates are gonna be low. That hen did not grow to 19 pounds and 36 inches by accident, those are the fish you want to protect.

Its not that they dont have the chance to spawn because of the fisherman, its just that the stream bottom is not suited to spawning for a steelhead. A Steelhead stream needs a pretty complex set of features to be able to substain natural reproduction with pea sized gravel being one of the main soures that is needed. The PA streams on the whole are a smooth flat shoal bottom, the eggs just wont stay in place and hatch like they should. That fish got that size by staying out in the big lake and feeding well before it migrated back, most likely its a 4 year fish that ethier didnt get landed last year or simply avoided capture and returned for a second run.

Trust me I totally agree with you on this, I would release that fish in a heartbeat (after a pic) if I was to land her, but because its a PA stream were talking about releaseing her for stronger genes reasons dont come into play like they would here in Michigan or other places.

SD

They probably don't reproduce up there because it's PA and nobody really wants to be born in PA. laugh.gif j_k.gif

Now not only are the Canadians on the hunt for you but you just got another 20% of this site on your trail(the PA guys) laugh.gif

Gonna have to enter the moderator relocation program pretty soon! laugh.gif

I'll still find him.... ph34r.gif

Good points there Steve on the river structure and age of the fish. I would be nice if the PA streams were self sustaining, but due to thier nature, that isn't going to happen. That hen ate real well out in the lake, that's for sure!

Art

Here's another point. There are a few hatchery streams where the get all their breeders and fishing is not allowed in these streams. Since the fish was taken from Elk it had no chance to reproduce because the hatcheries only take fish out of a few select streams. IMO there are too many fish in the stream already, you would have to see it to believe it so taking fish out is a good thing. If everyone turned em back the water would be black with fish and you would foul hook even more than you already do.

Tb , you know , with global warming . When the polar ice caps melt,and florida gets flooded, your gonna be beggin for us PA people to let you back in. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Apr 4 2005, 03:00 PM)
Now not only are the Canadians on the hunt for you but you just got another 20% of this site on your trail(the PA guys) laugh.gif

Gonna have to enter the moderator relocation program pretty soon! laugh.gif

And it has begun biggrin.gif

Dont worry Paul where thinking of relocating you to our office in Iceland, bring some flannel underwear and your 05' decoder ring.

BTW your new alias will be magnus von magn'usson flex.gif