Fly Tying
Mike West

CA. F’n Sucks!!!!!

You know I grew up out here and moved to Texas and stayed there for 30 years I knew there was a reason I left and I can’t believe I moved back.

I just discovered I can’t buy Toluene  here or have it shipped here, and I can’t buy denatured alcohol or 99.9% alcohol.. I can have those shipped here if I want to pay a $42 hazmat fee!

Oh yeah I can’t own a blowgun!!! ???

and I won’t even get into how the lakes work out here.

And am I understanding this right white gas and denatured alcohol are practically the same thing?

😡

Commiefornia.

where do I start? too lazy to type it all out but in a nutshell here we go.

Every single lake has different rules all of them are public lakes Ive never paid a fee to fish a public lake  before unless it was in a state park.

A lot of them don’t even open till 9 AM and then you have to be off the lake by 5 PM. Hell the morning bite is over at 9 AM.

fishing hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset. Texas is 24/7 366 days a year. Cant fish I think 500 feet or 1000 feet of any damn.

any fishing vessel has to be at least 12 feet long not sure about float tubes yet. Most lakes have a rule of no body contact. And they don’t advertise this or tell you about it even when your ask them they play dumb but I’ve learned from the locals if the lake rule  says no body contact that just means you can’t wet wade if you have waders on you can wade but they won’t tell you that...Some lakes even say no wading  but you actually can if you have waders on.

some lakes are sit on top kayak is OK but not a sit in kayak and some  lakes are a sit in kayak it’s OK but not a sit on top kayak...?

I stopped at lake to talk to  the Ranger about the kayak rule and why immediately she picked up on my accent and said you’re not from around here are you I told her no I’m from Texas she was from Alabama she said if you moved out here to fish you are not gonna like it.

The lake fees  aren’t really bad seeing how I am senior citizen and disabled so I get in for next to nothing might cost me five or 10 bucks.

It’s just the principle I have to pay a fee to fish a public lake in California.

It would be unusual for any state to have the same limits, slot limits, etc. across the board. TWRA has several public lakes that charge a fee. Others are either TVA or COE. There are free boat ramps and marinas that charge to launch a boat.

At first glance  I thought this was going to be about glue. Hate to break it to you but those who made CA what it is are now running the entire circus. Might as well stay put and make the best of it. 

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

At first glance  I thought this was going to be about glue. 

Me too.  Was like daaaang, this dude's passionate about his adhesives😆

Sounds like an annoying state to fish in, but the final verdict depends on how the actual fishing is.  It might be pretty good despite the unusual regulations one has to learn and navigate through.  Although the 9-5 rule is a crippler, there might be a midday bite to enjoy or a species which is not as hungry at dawn as they are by mid-morning.  

I'll take afternoons on a smallie creek any day over the morning bite, some fisheries just turn on better with a bit of sun exposure and all the bio activity it brings with it.  Stay positive...you're there now, healthy enough to rant, and committed to fishing.

With the exception of this year, I've been to the Stockton area of California every year since 2007.  I'm there for a few weeks sometime from November to March ... each year depending on the training schedule.  In that area, the rivers and creeks are the way to go, as there are usually places you can get in and wade fish.  I've always had fun in those.

A couple of times, I paid to get into one of the lakes or another.  Never caught anything that made it worth the money to get in.  I went with a resident, so a reservoir, to fish for Stripers.  Had to go through an inspection station (looking for signs of Quagga or Zebra Mussels).  Also, had to sign releases that neither the boat, nor our tackle had been used in another body of water less than 5 days previous.

Unfortunately, those kinds of regulations will propagate through the Country in the next few years. 

16 hours ago, Mike West said:

Most lakes have a rule of no body contact.

I have never heard of anything like this.  Is the rule in place to "protect" you or the lake?

3 hours ago, WJG said:

I have never heard of anything like this.  Is the rule in place to "protect" you or the lake?

The lake. They are used for city water and evidently the water treatment plants can’t handle human contact or your dog getting in.

makes no sense to me how do they handle wildlife getting in the water.

Maybe the deer and the coons can read the no swimming signs.

mikechell 

yeah you have to go through the boat inspections out here too. I’m in the greater San Diego area.

The have some really big bass and bream around here. The lakes are mostly crystal clear and deep. So far I’ve only fished like Dixon that’s the one where the worlds record was snagged twice. Didn’t catch anything and I tried hard.

I’ve seen stringers a bream where every bream was probably a pound and a half all the way up to 2 pounds I can’t wait to figure out how to catch those

OK, thanks Mike.  I do know of some drinking water reservoirs close to cities that are closed to all activities.  Luckily,  I live in a province where 100% of tap water is from wells, all rivers are spring fed but alas, no lakes.

That seems like a really odd reason to not allow wading. It's not like they pipe the water directly from the lake to peoples home :blink: it has to go through a treatment plant. Guess that's Cali for ya though. Couldn't pay me to live out there.

6 hours ago, mikechell said:

With the exception of this year, I've been to the Stockton area of California every year since 2007.  I'm there for a few weeks sometime from November to March ... each year depending on the training schedule.  In that area, the rivers and creeks are the way to go, as there are usually places you can get in and wade fish.  I've always had fun in those.

A couple of times, I paid to get into one of the lakes or another.  Never caught anything that made it worth the money to get in.  I went with a resident, so a reservoir, to fish for Stripers.  Had to go through an inspection station (looking for signs of Quagga or Zebra Mussels).  Also, had to sign releases that neither the boat, nor our tackle had been used in another body of water less than 5 days previous.

Unfortunately, those kinds of regulations will propagate through the Country in the next few years. 

Not in Alaska. Not any time soon anyway.

36 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

That seems like a really odd reason to not allow wading. It's not like they pipe the water directly from the lake to peoples home :blink: it has to go through a treatment plant. Guess that's Cali for ya though. Couldn't pay me to live out there.

Me neither.