Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DarrellP

What does "buggy" really mean?

. We see this term applied to shaggy flies.  Yet real bugs are often smooth on their surface.  Granted, some have gills and fringes.  But "buggy" flies don't have the same surface smoothness as an actual nymph.

It seems that flies are called buggy if they trap air or have more  movement?  What do we mean when we say buggy?  

I guess this is a philosophical question.   I know fuzzy flies work

When terms like matching the hatch are used, "fuzzy" would never be an acceptable description of a fly. Hence, buggier which I believe is Latin for fuzzy. Not sure though since my Latin is actually worse then my English. 

Because real nymphs have legs, gills and other small appendages that move and breathe. While their exoskeleton may be smooth their overall appearance can be quite different. My take is that "buggy" flies imitate live insects.

To find the BEST definition of what buggy looks like - just look through Fran Better's eyes!

Kim

Some of you guys are funny.  I lays took buggy to mean bug like or realistic.  But realistic looking hard or stiff flies don't catch as many fish, or so I have read.  I seem to do better with scruffy, generally disreputable flies.

9 hours ago, Bimini15 said:

Microscope pics of many types of bugs show you what I understand as buggy. Hairy, fuzzy,... definitely not smooth.

mayfly4.jpg

663897477_pmdnymph.jpg.a380b208a3cd912e2

From this post

13 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

The thing you hook your horse to.😄

Or put the baby in one.🤔

On 1/30/2021 at 7:04 AM, DarrellP said:

. We see this term applied to shaggy flies.  Yet real bugs are often smooth on their surface.  Granted, some have gills and fringes.  But "buggy" flies don't have the same surface smoothness as an actual nymph.

It seems that flies are called buggy if they trap air or have more  movement?  What do we mean when we say buggy?  

I guess this is a philosophical question.   I know fuzzy flies work

It's ugly but I have a hunch it will work anyway.  Maybe even better.