Fly Tying
SBPatt

February Flies From the Vise

15 hours ago, Toothy said:

Gotta love the Harrop patterns! Nice job!  I have really enjoyed reading his books.  In addition to being a very innovative fly tier he is also a gifted writer.  

@Toothy Thank you. I'm working on flies for my Henry's Fork and YNP trip for this July. Harrop is as you say an innovative tier and a gifted writer. Though "Learning From the Water" is Henry's Fork centric what he says pertains to just about any moving water in terms of tactics and strategy.  Sometimes when you read something that's written in an interesting way it brings to the front of your mind an idea that has been lurking just "out of sight".

13 hours ago, Bimini15 said:

As simple as it gets: one flank and one pheasant rump feather. The ones for the right fly were shorter, so I got a bit into the fluff.

A8979E4F-330B-4127-9AE3-F02A2155E64F.thumb.jpeg.1bc1ccb26adc4e80c30bbcce2951a271.jpeg

Hey Bim, I'm new to tying and often lack the terminology to describe things properly. Is there a name for this fly? What sizes do you use for which fishes?  The truth is that it looks like an al purpose style for Pickerel, Bass and most Panfish according to the size and seasonal colors it is tied in. It looks like a good workhorse and sort of like a jumping off point for simplicity/effectiveness. 

Baron

Williams’ Callibaetis Softhackle (variation)

50956656902_c2480132ed_c.jpg

50956656882_4111bcf58a_c.jpg

50956556286_b365f8f4f6_c.jpg

A few changes in materials to Chris Williams’  fly.

hook - BVFT Dry #14
thread - MFC 8/0 sand
tail - woodduck flank
rib - x-small wire gold 
abdomen - marabou tannish grey
thorax - ostrich herl tannish grey
hackle - partridge

Regards,
Scott

50 minutes ago, Baron said:

Hey Bim, I'm new to tying and often lack the terminology to describe things properly. Is there a name for this fly? What sizes do you use for which fishes?  The truth is that it looks like an al purpose style for Pickerel, Bass and most Panfish according to the size and seasonal colors it is tied in. It looks like a good workhorse and sort of like a jumping off point for simplicity/effectiveness. 

Baron

Look up Jack Gartside's Soft Hackle Streamer.  In fact as a beginning tyer I'd suggest you go to his site - jackgartside.com.  He has a lot of simple and effective patterns perfect for a newer tyer to tie plus other great info as well (check out his examples of fly patterns using a male Ring Neck Pheasant skin for example).

Hope this helps.

Kim

Male Ringneck, Do you have any Idea How many of them I cleaned as a kid. My goodness I wish I had some of them now. I'll spend some time there. Thanks Dubya.

1 hour ago, SBPatt said:

Williams’ Callibaetis Softhackle (variation)

A few changes in materials to Chris Williams’  fly.

hook - BVFT Dry #14
thread - MFC 8/0 sand
tail - woodduck flank
rib - x-small wire gold 
abdomen - marabou tannish grey
thorax - ostrich herl tannish grey
hackle - partridge

Regards,
Scott

Scott the partridge hackle on that fly is a beautiful bronze.   Can I ask what type of partridge are you using?  I have a Hungarian skin but the banding is more white/black.

I only met Gartside once, some years ago.  Wish he was still around.  Folks will still be learning his patterns long after I’m gone...

3 hours ago, Sandan said:

@Toothy Thank you. I'm working on flies for my Henry's Fork and YNP trip for this July. Harrop is as you say an innovative tier and a gifted writer. Though "Learning From the Water" is Henry's Fork centric what he says pertains to just about any moving water in terms of tactics and strategy.  Sometimes when you read something that's written in an interesting way it brings to the front of your mind an idea that has been lurking just "out of sight".

@Sandan Well put, I agree completely. Fun to get ready for a trip like that! 

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

Scott the partridge hackle on that fly is a beautiful bronze.   Can I ask what type of partridge are you using?  I have a Hungarian skin but the banding is more white/black.

It’a A Hun.  The feathers have a slight tannish cast to them, but the lighting in the photo makes it look a bit more intense.  

Regards,
Scott

HYDROPSYCHE CADDIS NYMPH

HOOK: #16 CURVED NYMPH 3XL

THREAD:  6/0 LIGHT CAHILL

UNDE RBODY: .015 WEIGHT WIRE

TAIL: PHEASANT UNDER FEATHER

BODY: CREAM LATEX COLORED WITH GREEN, BROWN, AND BLACK MARKER.  LOON UV -THIN

RIB: 4LB MONO FOLLOWED BY THREAD

GILLS: OSTRICH HERL -GREY

LEGS: PHEASANT TAIL FIBERS

HEAD:  LOON UV -THIN

CCC.jpg.bc2bc368c5c06da8a7205b4892a266a0.jpgCVV.jpg.8d87e4839fe9adbcce08dae671cace9d.jpgXCCC.jpg.962047cf09e96c540f9759f6474b13ac.jpg

ANTRON CADDIS PUPA

HOOK: #12 CURVED NYMPH

THREAD: 6/0 LIGHT CAHILL- #70 OLIVE

UNDER BODY: .015 WEIGHT WIRE

ABDOMEN: YELLOW ANTRON

RIB: OLIVE THREAD SPLIT DUBBED WITH HARLINE DARK HARE’S EAR

THORAX: OLIVE THREAD SPLIT DUBBED WITH HARELINE DARK HARE’S EAR AND ICE DUB UV PEARL TWISTED AROUND 1 STRAND OF PEACOCK HERL

HEAD: DARK BRASS 1/8” BEAD

F.jpg.f65f075da3a9ab77a8b157b6356cc9c3.jpg

6 hours ago, Baron said:

Baron

I generally do not follow recipes, so no name that I know of. I read and mostly watch content by many tiers and that informs my own tying. Glad people think it resembles one of Gartside’s creations closely enough.

Simply thought it was an easy to tie, good looking minnow in bass colors.

These two are #4 and #6, planning to put them out there for bass and panfish.

I really appreciate it and have already tied one up. I'll have to invest in some new pheasant as the stuff I have is mostly picked through and small. Thanks