Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HATCHBOMB

Hybrid Striped Bass In Indiana

Anyone try fishing for hybrids with fly? I'm heading down to a friends place in a few weeks to try to get some hybrids in a reservoir that bust baitfish on the surface...

Are you referring to "wipers", white bass/striped bass hybrid? I fish for those in Ohio at a nearby lake.........their main forage in that lake is shad, I use cork/styrofoam sliders(just bullet nosed poppers) in white bucktail w/silver flashabou.........after dark, I use all black w/some silver flashabou...just listen for the shad braking the surface .........I have caught a lot of wipers that were literally spitting up crayfish as I reeled them in.......for what thats worth.......

Mike

Yeah, the hybrid cross of white bass and striped bass. My friend is a fisheries biologist and is taking me to a reservoir that has fish that average around 10 pounds. I was thinking of experimenting with some shad type crease flies...

I am very interested in how you do. That sounds like a trip I would love to make. It's one fish I'm jealous Michigan does not have. It would be fun to have them in a few of out resivoir lakes.

Sign in to follow this