Fly Tying
Classtime

Rotten Tying Thread

I haven’t been tying trout flys for maybe ten years but last night I set up a bench, got out my materials, and found that most of my lighter threads are rotten and break with the lightest pressure. I have 6 spools that will break just threading the bobbin. The stickers on the spools are long gone so I don’t know the brand. I likely purchased most of it 20 years ago. Has this happened to anybody else?  

image.jpg

Yup.  Especially if the thread has gone through some dramatic changes in environment over the years.

Looks like Danville spools; different weights? I’ve got a lot of their thread that I purchased back in the late 80’s; most of it is still good but there are a few spools of 6/0 that have deteriorated.

Regards,
Scott

Thanks. So it is a thing. Likely Flymaster as it is my lighter stuff. The Monocord seems to be holding up OK. I haven’t been to a fly shop in years. A trip to Marriot’s will be fun. 

I've got lots of threads some very old.  Some break down some don't.  They are primarily stored in tupperware containers in a cool, dark  dry place.  I have found that the ones stored out of that environment will break down more easily over time.  How were yours stored classtime?

My threads break if I tug too hard or nick it on the hook point

I leave my threads exposed on my bench and no problems with light

I have kept them in a plastic box which is in a closed wooden cabinet in the garage which never gets too warm to work in. (Southern California near the beach.)

image.jpg

I noticed some weakening and discoloration on some old 3/0 UNI a few years ago. Nothing that would make them completely unusable, though. I can’t remember throwing away any of it.

I haven't been tying so long as to have that happen to thread that I've purchased new, nor with any older thread I've pick up through tag sales, with exception of a few spools of silk thread.   Maybe try stripping of the top layer or two from the spool?

I've got 5 Danville spools that break very easily as well - they are ~20 years old and quite frustrating to tie with.  They are some colors I don't tie with very often but I keep them around for when I do need them.  I think I'll spend the money and save the cuss words!

Kim

12 minutes ago, WWKimba said:

I've got 5 Danville spools that break very easily as well - they are ~20 years old and quite frustrating to tie with.  They are some colors I don't tie with very often but I keep them around for when I do need them.  I think I'll spend the money and save the cuss words!

Kim

@WWKimba Spend and cuss. It's the best of both worlds

22 minutes ago, WWKimba said:

spend the money and save the cuss words

just put the quarter in the box when you cuss and after a fly or two you will have enough for a couple of spools. cuss & spend your way to better material 😇

Just now, cphubert said:

just put the quarter in the box when you cuss and after a fly or two you will have enough for a couple of spools. cuss & spend your way to better material 😇

Fly OR TWO!  You are either an optimist or overpay for your thread!

Kim