Fly Tying
flytire

Have you ever parachuted......

....out of a perfectly good flying airplane? (excluding military experience)

i have no testicular fortitude to attempt this at my ageĀ šŸ‘Ž

thumb_720_450_Parachutedreamstime_xl_244

I dont think I would EVER jump out of a perfectly functional airplane. Its not theĀ fall that worries me, its the sudden stop at the end of the fall

Back in 1969, a buck sergeant tried to get me to sign up for airborne. Told him I couldn't see jumping out of a perfectly good airplane that will land 15 minutes after i jump.

A friends 80 year old father did a tandem jump a while back. When his son asked him why he replied I'm running out of money. True story.

Military, on a bell chuteĀ ... not since.Ā  Mother-n-law has gone tandem twice.Ā  She went on her own once, the second was a gift from a boyfriend.Ā  She loves it.

I'd go if I'd learned how to fly a square chute.Ā  I am quite sure I'd break something on a typical bell chute landing.

Jumped static line from jets, props and helicopters in the army.Ā  Couldn't afford sky diving when I got out and only a few did halo back then.Ā  Recommend it to anyone who can try.Ā  As a guy who survived a double malfunction on our third jump at Ft. Benning said... "what a trip"!

C'mon Norm. There was recently a blip on the news about some gal who celebrated her 90th birthday by doing a tandem jump. If I tried to get someone to do a tandem jump with me they'd only look at me and say, "Sorry, don't have a big enough chute. Army uses all those dropping their jeeps."

As a former commercial pilot (Corporate) we we're always taught jumping out of airplanes was a bad thing.Ā  šŸ˜‰

Did a search but couldnā€™t find the story of the old paratrooper talking to a group of sky divers. Ā  They were all talking about all the jumps they had made. Ā The old guy said Iā€™ve only made four real jumps other than practice. Ā Salerno, Sicily, Normandy, and Holland....

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/09/11/one-of-the-last-legendary-wwii-soldiers-to-make-four-combat-jumps-into-europe-has-died/

We are losing WWII veterans at the rate of 100 a day. The curator at our science building was responsible for setting up equipment and supplies for biology, chemistry and physics professors. He watched the supplies and turned in a list for purchasing needed supplies. Thought the world of the old gentleman. Later, the local paper ran an article about him and his WWII adventures. He is listed as one of the first to jump into Normandy on D-Day. Retired as either LTC or Colonel. His name was John Tyler.

Edit- Do yourself a favor and get the video set of Band of Brothers. This follows Easy Company, 506th of the 101st from paratrooper training to the end of the war.Ā  In addition, there are other books by the veterans that tell of their experiences. I also have Untold Stories From The Band of Brothers by Marcus Brotherton. Another book is by Stephen Ambrose but can't find it.

38 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

We are losing WWII veterans at the rate of 100 a day.

That generation was truly a treasure.Ā  My brother calls them the generation of American Renaissance Men, there was nothing they could not, or would not, do.Ā Ā Ā 

Yeh the GreatestGeneration is mostly gone. Ā The young people can not fathom volunteering their service to preserve a way of life. Ā  I miss talking to my wifeā€™s dad that woke up in a hospitalĀ in Saipan. Ā A buddy recognized him and explained they foundĀ him in a shell hole bleeding from ears and mouth, though he was dead. Ā  Battle of LeyteGulf. Ā  Waltero said heĀ could smell the Japs. Ā  Talked about trying to dig a hole in coral rock as bullets wissed over. Ā Kinda unusual the 21 gun salute at the small country cemetery when he was laid to rest. Ā His brotherĀ Reese was killed in France.