Fly Tying
yetavon

Our time consuming rebuild

I defiantly want to get into tying again and some swaps. I need an escape from this project that consumes way too much of my mental and physically available time.                                                                     We got a surprise offer on our home of 25 years, and went from 2200SQFT of house and 1400 of shop into 220 SQFT of camper and 2 portable sheds on 4 acres of property.                                                   The old house had been vacant about 10 years, meth heads living there totaly trashed it out, pulled everything possible for scrap, wiring out of the walls to. leaking roof and water damage.                           We even talked to the fire dept about burning it for training but it may be asbestos siding, so we decided to remodel it.  1st step was to completely gut the place.ISyn8qf4lcv1rq1000000000.jpg.f04e1d867aff9213166d57d47fa57d58.jpgISuoinrpsapzpo1000000000.jpg.7ec599c3fef834af2c3c618829c709b9.jpgIMG_20190403_154628913.jpg.acee2ee70854476d20594fca062a342e.jpg

More power to you. I wouldn't care what the offer was on my house I wouldn't be selling it to move into an RV and do a complete rebuild on an abandoned house. Must be nice to be young. 

The house was originally built in 72, garage framed in 84, The garage was unfinished, dirt floor with plywood covering the opening. The main reason we decided to save it was the fire place. 

ISqxmdcbf3ltrq1000000000.jpg

The adventure began with gutting it completely, then getting the building inspector to review our plans and approve a permit. then we got a temporary power pole placed, and after a year we got power back to the property. We also had worked on getting the garage poured and enclosed. Next step was replacing the pump in the well, digging a line to hook the camper sewer up, and just before Christmas we moved the camper on the property and have the garage for extra room... power water but no heat. but its nice to be able to do laundry here now.

IMG_20191006_144436339.jpg

IMG_20200211_101723611.jpg

That's a project that will leave you well satisfied in the future but will drive you crazy now. We bought our planned retirement home in OK for $12K and rented it for a couple of years. The year before I actually retired my wife came down here and with the help of a couple of young studs, my son, and a retired electrician completely gutted the inside right to the studs and rafters. The outside had already been resided with a new metal roof. Once gutted it got something homes down here didn't get when built in the 20s. Insulation everywhere. New floor, new electric throughout, new plumbing throughout, new sheetrock, new flooring, new kitchen, new windows, and everything else you can do to bring it up date and safe. Even with all this, paying for a lot of the work being done plus what we did, we got by with about $50K and now have a nice home to live in down here that would be 3 times or more that price in MN.

Keep at it and I expect to see more pictures as it starts to come together. You've already made a big step forward on it.

It's a long complicated complete story, but we bought this house on 3/4 acres at auction for $6500. It ajoins the 3.25 acres we already owned. It's getting new everything.

Young at heart.

Vic, two years ago I completely gutted my kitchen and dining room. We removed a wall between them and made one large eat in kitchen. It cost me $75K just for the stuff (cabinets, countertops, appliances, furniture, butter dish, etc) I did most of the work but did contract out some. I probably had another 8K in contractors. 50K whole home remodels went the way of the dodo bird. I looked into contracting the entire job out but when I got three bids between 26K and 54K just to do the work I said no freaking way. 

I like pictures to, keep posting them. Vic is right, it will be very satisfying when done. 

We are paying as we go, using 0% accounts on some stuff. Currently $1200 in debt.... Would have paid it off this month but Mama got her dream fridge for our new kitchen we don't yet have. Have all new doors and windows, plywood for roof and sides, most the electric supplies. Even metal roofing sitting on a trailer is paid for. So far we have about $12K invested... Including purchase price. 

4 hours ago, yetavon said:

It's a long complicated complete story, but we bought this house on 3/4 acres at auction for $6500. It ajoins the 3.25 acres we already owned

Well there is no way you could have passed that deal up then for sure. Well worth the time and effort 😎

You are much braver than me. Wife and I started a minor remodel years ago. Still working on it. My parents always wanted to do a remodel. Bought a house in PA and started. Got down to the bathroom and moved. Their statement, "Never again."

It's very unfortunate that I have a ton of various building experience, and stubborn enough to believe I can do this. Definitely will have a lot of sweat equity in it .... Hell already do

Time consuming is correct. I always feel guilty if I'm on a river with a project hanging over my head. Still it is very gratifying when you finish.