Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

Pseudo hair and dragon tail eel

I'm expecting big returns from the dragon tails during the striper run. A Simple dragon tail and reverse tied pseudo hair on a 3/0 eagle claw 570 jig hook. 

eel.jpg

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

expecting big returns from the dragon tails

have you fished them before? do they need a support for antifouling for casting? any durability for bluefish?

Never fished them before. I tie in a 25 lb mono loop to help with fouling. I think a bluefish would destroy them. I do 90% of my striped bass  fishing in freshwater when they come up the river in the spring. They seem like they should last for a few bass. We shall see. 

It should work.  I can remember years ago, before the condos were built there,  fishing at the old factory in New Hope, which gave us access to the wing dam,  seeing the elvers  swimming up river, and literally up the front of the wing dam.  They were about 6 inches long, dark on top, light on the bottom.  That should work real well.   About the same time we started noticing these silver fish with black stripes down their sides.  Small schools of them, about 12 inches long, working their way up river.   That was close to 40 years ago, I wonder if any of that particular year class are still around.

I think you may have outlived that year class. They are building another set of condos, at least that's what I think they are going to be. 

On 2/21/2021 at 6:04 PM, Poopdeck said:

I think you may have outlived that year class. They are building another set of condos, at least that's what I think they are going to be

Oh well.  To outliving the year class and another set of condos.  That was a good place to fish.   Caught my first muskie there, a small one, live lining a sunfish.  The same day I saw a guy tossing a large Rapala minnow,  have a huge muskie grab it.  I got a good look at it, at least the part from the back fin to the tail, and estimated it to be between 20 and 24 inches long.   The guy kept asking me "Did you see that?"  after the fish broke his line.