Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bamboo

Chest Boxes

Anybody ever use the Richardson Chest Box or Down's Chest Box? Just curious as to what others think about these as opposed to the traditional vest/fly box option.

-Bamboo

biggrin.gif I just bought a Downs Fly Box and love it! It is the standard 3-tray version, but it holds about any trout fly I might think to use in one trip. I don't Think I would want to use more than the 3 trays at one time because it would get in the way of reaching in my vest pockets. Many seem to think that chest boxes remove the need for a vest. You can have them customized by adding pouches and the like but I still need a vest for other variuos stuff like leaders, tippet, split shot etc. I did go to a shorty, scaled down mesh vest though; now that I don't carry all of those little fly boxes in the pockets anymore rolleyes.gif . The Richardson box is much more handsome, but weighs quite a bit more and has sharper edges. I will probably buy some more trays to hold more flys, so that I can just swap them out to meet the demands of the seasons or different species. I mostly chase trout though cool.gif

A lot of guys wore the Richardson boxes up in PA, and I had wanted one myself but couldn't get over the price tag. The Downs box is very nice for the money and seems to be very rugged. Now that I live in TN. , I don't see anyone wearing chest boxes with the exception of a few FISHPOND set-ups. Hope this helps1

A.A.

I have the original downs box with 4 trays. i have used it for close to 20 years. i would buy one again..

Down Chest Boxes can be seen at...

http://www.chestflybox.net/

For those of you that use the Down's boxes, when you remove a tray, does it then function as a standalone flybox? I'm trying to make it convenient to switch between having my pontoon boat and then wading and have been thinking that this box and a lanyard might be a solution.

Bamboo

Sign in to follow this